Badger cull.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know?

No.
Jury's out amongst the people most likely to know and anyone going either side of the fence is tipped there by which way the wind is blowing behind them.
I don't know of any dairy (or beef) farmers who appreciate the black and whites on their land and most carcasses seen on the roads will have originated on such farms.

I was under the impression that bovine TB was introduced to badgers first via cattle?
dunno chicken and egg situation really - the fact is probably lost in the anus of time so it's imatesticle now. What matters is, they have it now. TB in humans was more or less wiped out in this country by a combination of better living conditions and rigorous testing and culling of infected cattle, especially dairy cattle.

dunno chicken and egg situation really - the fact is probably lost in the anus of time so it's imatesticle now. What matters is, they have it now. TB in humans was more or less wiped out in this country by a combination of better living conditions and rigorous testing and culling of infected cattle, especially dairy cattle.

I thought it was virtually eradicated in cattle, before the badgers became protected. We certainly did not have any reactors during the testing I took part in during that period.

As a child we bought milk direct from the village farm but this had to stop because of the TB control regime being introduced. TT milk deliveries by a milkman became our sole source.

I thought it was virtually eradicated in cattle, before the badgers became protected. .

Persackerly!

As a child we bought milk direct from the village farm but this had to stop because of the TB control regime being introduced. TT milk deliveries by a milkman became our sole source.

My uncle sold milk direct from the farm (bottled and delivered to the doorstep) and until the craze for pasteurised milk took off, my father continued selling his milk when he took over the milk rounds. Just before Dad died my cousin and I were rummaging around in the loft above the cowshed (hoping to find more .577/.450 ammunition) and we found a box of foil milk bottle caps with the farm's name and the title AATT milk printed on them, my father explained that the TT stood for Tubercilin Tested and the AA was they hygiene status of the dairy 'A' denoted that the dairy was of an acceptable standard and 'AA' meant that the milk could be sold direct from the farm.

My uncle sold milk direct from the farm (bottled and delivered to the doorstep) and until the craze for pasteurised milk took off, my father continued selling his milk when he took over the milk rounds. Just before Dad died my cousin and I were rummaging around in the loft above the cowshed (hoping to find more .577/.450 ammunition) and we found a box of foil milk bottle caps with the farm's name and the title AATT milk printed on them, my father explained that the TT stood for Tubercilin Tested and the AA was they hygiene status of the dairy 'A' denoted that the dairy was of an acceptable standard and 'AA' meant that the milk could be sold direct from the farm.

I remember finding an old milk bottle from Grandads time selling milk (probably !940-50s), printed with "Tuberclin tested" on the bottle. They were of a sort which took cardboard discs for the top.
Dad sold a couple of cans of our CI milk a day to a local boarding school, this had to stop & milk bought in when pasteurising came in, probably mid sixties.

I remember finding an old milk bottle from Grandads time selling milk (probably !940-50s), printed with "Tuberclin tested" on the bottle. They were of a sort which took cardboard discs for the top.
Dad sold a couple of cans of our CI milk a day to a local boarding school, this had to stop & milk bought in when pasteurising came in, probably mid sixties.

That would have been about the time - my mother tells me that on my first birthday (February 1968) we had heavy snow and the milk lorry failed to deliver the bottled stuff so my father went up to uncle Dai's got a couple of churns of milk (It would have had to be poured away anyway as the milk wasn't being collected) brought it back home with a box full of foil caps and refilled all his collected empties - his boast was he never missed a delivery however bad the snow was. He sold the round in the mid seventies and when we had the big snows in 1981 and 82 the milkman at the time could not be bothered to even deliver the milk he had, I promptly took my sled up to uncle Dai's loaded it with a can of milk and went round the houses selling the milk 'loose' I made a fortune those two winters :D

I promptly took my sled up to uncle Dai's loaded it with a can of milk and went round the houses selling the milk 'loose' I made a fortune those two winters :D

That would take milk deliveries back a couple of generations.
Could it be done now?
Only in a few places maybe, very few dairy herds around here now and not one in my families village, where there used to be 10 herds in or nearby.

That would take milk deliveries back a couple of generations.
Could it be done now?
Only in a few places maybe, very few dairy herds around here now and not one in my families village, where there used to be 10 herds in or nearby.

too true - the last two remaining dairy herds in the valley packed in around the turn of the century - both Uncle Dai and the neighbouring farm where I worked in my free time. Both 50 head herds and at that time dairy farming wasn't profitable with anything less than 100 head of milkers. nearest one now is where my Garn cottage apiary is five miles away and I can't see that one carrying on after Eirwyn retires. The nearest then are all in the Towy valley - some of them struggling due to TB. The hunt helps out the Agricultural college dairy farm with their bull calves (another on TB standstill) I think we shot over a hundred for them last year.

I remember finding an old milk bottle from Grandads time selling milk (probably !940-50s), printed with "Tuberclin tested" on the bottle.

I must be old enough to be your gran, then .......sigh.
I remember as a child, our milk was delivered by the milkman with his horse and cart. All the kids used to rush out to pet the nag and the milkman was always followed by a gaggle of excited children while his horse munched quietly inside his nose bag. The odd daft gardener used to appear at the horses back end too :)

I must be old enough to be your gran, then .......sigh.
I remember as a child, our milk was delivered by the milkman with his horse and cart. All the kids used to rush out to pet the nag and the milkman was always followed by a gaggle of excited children while his horse munched quietly inside his nose bag. The odd daft gardener used to appear at the horses back end too :)

Me as well .. our milk in Yorkshire was delivered by a horse pulled milk float - the horse knew which houses to stop at and the milkman didn't need to lead him - just walked alongside taking the bottles to the step when the horse stopped.

We also had a weekly fruit and vegetable man who came round - Joe Brindley - (to our street) every Saturday morning with a horse drawn dray full of fruit and veg - he sold vinegar out of a barrel - you had to take your own bottle out to get it filled. It was a unique smell that came from the cart - if I close my eyes and think about it the memory of the smell comes back - getting on for 60 years ago now. But the best memory is the Frys Five Boys chocolate bar that I could buy from him for 6d ... or a Mars bar that was about twice the size it is now and also 6d - and on frosty Saturday mornings you could barely get your teeth into it ! Much harder chocoloate than the pap they sell these days ... I think I'm turning into my Father ?

I think I'm turning into my Father
Looking at my husband and my brother-in-law I think most men do.
I, on the other hand, will never ever ever turn into my mother :icon_204-2:

Me as well .. our milk in Yorkshire was delivered by a horse pulled milk float - the horse knew which houses to stop at and the milkman didn't need to lead him - just walked alongside taking the bottles to the step when the horse stopped.

We also had a weekly fruit and vegetable man who came round - Joe Brindley - (to our street) every Saturday morning with a horse drawn dray full of fruit and veg - he sold vinegar out of a barrel - you had to take your own bottle out to get it filled. It was a unique smell that came from the cart - if I close my eyes and think about it the memory of the smell comes back - getting on for 60 years ago now. But the best memory is the Frys Five Boys chocolate bar that I could buy from him for 6d ... or a Mars bar that was about twice the size it is now and also 6d - and on frosty Saturday mornings you could barely get your teeth into it ! Much harder chocoloate than the pap they sell these days ... I think I'm turning into my Father ?

My father stopped using a horse and float round the time I was born (1967) it was my uncle Dai's old horse Mari - she was the same and would just plod on at her own pace stopping at each house - unfortunately the old man used to like a natter so he often had to run to catch up!!Before he was married he and my uncle Royston used the horse and float to go to their favourite pub the Cennen Arms just over the mountain, when she got to learn the 'round' all the lads could get blootered, pile into the float, fall asleep and Mari would take them all home.
We had a load of mobile traders here - a few of them carried on until not long ago - Bob Rackley used to bring his wet fish van up from Milford until he retired in about 2006, and there is a replacement! 'Jackie' fruit used to come around with his mobile fruit and veg van ( a VW flatbed pickup with a wonderful display on the back)until the late 1990's his name was Roland, but his father Jackie started the business with a horse and cart in the 1920's. Then even in the 1970's we had two mobile butchers, the oil man who used to sell most household cleaning kit etc with his call of 'Oil, Parafeeeen Parazooooooone' Len Hastings with his mobile grocery shop(also sold some sweets and cigarettes) we had someone who came round selling children's clothes and toys as well, Jo Carpanini also sold cigarettes from his ice cream van and of course, in season the Breton onion sellers would sail into Swansea and come round on their pushbikes.

Last edited:
Nuthin to do wiv Badgers.....

I remember the Winkle man... with a hand cart standing at the top of our road and yelling Winkles... tuppence a pint!

50's East End clearance Rose Hill St Hellier Carshalton South London

Us kid would all sit around the pot of winkles with a winkle pin and eat them with pepper and vinegar... and brown bread!
Granddad would wash his down with a bottle of Brown Ale!

Little uns don't know there born.. with all their X boxes and Go- Pros!

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back