Badger cull.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad has an interesting recipe for cooking perch. First skin the bark off an ash twig, thread the fish on to the twig and cook over an open fire until the fish is black, throw the fish away and eat the twig.

Must be from the same book as the recipe for cooking canada goose -
recipe #1 stuff goose with standard house brick, cook until brick is tender.
#2 stuff with house brick, cook on a low heat for ten hours, remove brick, throw away goose and eat brick with seasonal veg.

I used to have a terrier that would eat fox meat and just about anything you could throw at him, but he would not eat Canada Geese he would pull them to bits but that was as far as he would get with them, most off what got shot where left where they dropped.

That's true, the same can be said about trout, far tastier from rivers.

:iagree:

Can't stand rainbow trout - even the smell of them cooking makes me gag (mind you, the same can be said of farmed salmon, might as well be pond reared considering the filth that collects under the cages)

Last edited:
Talking about preserved meat....which you weren't but since this thread has moved so far from badgers, thought I would throw in something different. I once salted a leg of lamb. We tentatively tasted it after 3 months.....it was delicious....finely sliced like Serrano ham...with pickles, toast and vino...yummy...didn't last long.
I also like salted trout...but the best so far has been the oak smoked salmon this Xmas.

Badger ham was a bit of a delicacy down with the Westoes - maybe it will see a recovery now - waste not want not an' all that

What is the legality of eating road kill badger... seems to be a lot around at the moment!

Can confirm Badger ham is tasty... especially a young yearling sow!

Yeghes da

I found this
A badger will make a meal for two, a favourite part of the animal is the head: "There's five tastes and textures in there, including the tongue, the eyeballs, the muscle … The salivary glands taste quite different. And of course, the brain. You get that by putting a teaspoon in the hole in the back and rooting around."

I found this
A badger will make a meal for two, a favourite part of the animal is the head: "There's five tastes and textures in there, including the tongue, the eyeballs, the muscle … The salivary glands taste quite different. And of course, the brain. You get that by putting a teaspoon in the hole in the back and rooting around."
Ewww!
Just when I was enjoying the contented feeling of a full belly after a wonderful bit of belly pork.

What a coincidence, that Glaswegian, Sikh, chef just did precisely that, on countryfile. Gutted, seasoned and cooked in foil on the embers of a wood fire.
Full belly or not, I'd have found room for that :D

I made some Cranberry Gin and Cranberry Vodka this Xmas. Some went into the cranberry sauce but I had a lot of cranberries left from the gin...so I dried them....oh my! They are grand! Only a few left...certainly be doing those again.

What a coincidence, that Glaswegian, Sikh, chef just did precisely that, on countryfile. Gutted, seasoned and cooked in foil on the embers of a wood fire.
Full belly or not, I'd have found room for that :D

Yes I could have dived in to that fish too. Lovely

Back