Bad places to get stung

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdie Wife

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
... apart from the obvious, before you jump in on that...!

As a relatively new beekeeper, I've experienced a few stings in different places, mostly wrists and arms. I've discovered that there are a few bad places to be stung, resulting in a reaction that lasts a few days, and I'm wondering if this is just me (and I should think about desensitisation treatment), or if the type of reaction is common for the location stung.

So these are places I got stung with what I'd term an 'inconvenient' response:

1. Head. I got stung once, hair line above left eye. Treated with antihistamine cream straight away but 3 days later, half of face swelled up noticeably (but not dangerously).

2. Ankle. First sting there two days ago, again treated with antihistamine cream but next day, ankle swollen and another day later, foot swollen like I've got gout.

Is this normal??

Many years ago I went into work on the night shift wearing sunglasses due to the swelling around the face. Normal for swelling to travel from ankle to foot. Different reactions to different people.

As a relatively new beekeeper, I've experienced a few stings in different places, mostly wrists and arms. I've discovered that there are a few bad places to be stung, resulting in a reaction that lasts a few days, and I'm wondering if this is just me (and I should think about desensitisation treatment), or if the type of reaction is common for the location stung.

1. Head. I got stung once, hair line above left eye. Treated with antihistamine cream straight away but 3 days later, half of face swelled up noticeably (but not dangerously).

2. Ankle. First sting there two days ago, again treated with antihistamine cream but next day, ankle swollen and another day later, foot swollen like I've got gout.

Is this normal??

When I started beekeeping my stings used to swell up but after a while my body got used to them and now it doesn't react. I have not yet been stung on my head/face though.

I have asked many beekeepers about "worst place to get stung" and most say in the nose.

Try the balls that makes you jump!!!

I have little pain on the hands and face with no reaction and once the initial discomfort has gone everything is back to normal..my legs are different the pain is minimal but one in three stings go red and a little itchy..this last a few hours then back to normal.
I have taken wasp stings most of my life and also bumble bee stings from a young age trying to play with them..maybe the stings in my younger days (different venom I know) may help with my tolerance.

Year 1 stung up nose, on head, arms - nothing but a red nettle-sting like bump
Year 2 stung on face, belly, head, leg - big swelling...face was 3 stings, got bold with no veil, looked like picasso painting
Year 3 - slight swelling on first couple of 3 weeks then back to nothing again
Year 4 - still fine...

Different strokes. Just be careful (as we all should be) but remain hopeful you'll become more "tolerant"...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Is this normal??
Yes. For the head it is common for the swelling to appear overnight because the head is 'down'. Same for ankles. No movement = reduced blood circulation/movement of lymph. Anti-histamine cream has to penetrate the skin and thus has a limited effect. Anti-histamine tablets taken before working with the bees is a great help to some people (but check which ones cause drowsiness if driving). They certainly help me by reducing the itching which continues long after the pain has gone.

Over the years, as a male, the two places etched in my memory, both inflicted when homing swarms, the first one was the left T...… had me bouncing round the garden like Tigger on speed and the second, when putting another swarm into the back of the truck, late at night in just shorts, I felt a strange tickle down the old builders cleavage..... oh, O I thought .... then BAM!!!!! nearly lost an eye that time I can tell you.

Bee got inside veil once, stung me on the nose. Not very pleasant, itchy as hell and swollen. Not s good look!

Stung just below the eye once too. Top of cheekbone. Would hate to think of the consequences of it being any nearer to the eye!

After being stung in the septum (between nostrils) I looked this up.

10/10!

Eyes watering, uncontrollable sneezing. . . . WOW.

However very little swelling.

Yes. For the head it is common for the swelling to appear overnight because the head is 'down'. Same for ankles. No movement = reduced blood circulation/movement of lymph. Anti-histamine cream has to penetrate the skin and thus has a limited effect. Anti-histamine tablets taken before working with the bees is a great help to some people (but check which ones cause drowsiness if driving). They certainly help me by reducing the itching which continues long after the pain has gone.
Thanks, that's really helpful [emoji106]

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back