Bad start to furlough!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Started three weeks shutdown this afternoon and decided to do some gardening.
Long story short, I was attacked and chased by a bee twice and on the second attack it got caught in my hair (what little I have) and stung me towards the back of my swede. I have reacted badly - hives down both legs and on my forearms. My top lip has swollen as has the location of the sting. This is my worst ever reaction. Have taken two antihistamines and the swelling is gradually going down after approx 30 minutes. I am really disappointed and uncertain as to the future.
I am mindful of the current situation in hospitals and am hoping this doesn' develop into anything worse. Bugger!

Ouch! My experience is that I lose some immunity over the winter and the first sting of the season is worse. I also believe that stings from winter bees seem more potent. But in your position I would be worried, and about the next sting too.

A) bees are on the search in early spring and if they get spooked they seem to chase . It seems to get better as the year progresses. B) Stings as already described can differ so much. Hope you are feeling ok. Some serious decisions to make! You must not let them spoil your time in your garden so out apiary or nothing!
E

Thanks V and E
Very odd reaction today. My usual reaction is four days of grief with swelling, redness and itching. Today the facial swelling has already diminished to be very minor, the hives have stopped itching within two hours.
My concern is what will the next sting do?
My good lady is adverse to an out apiary in case I have a bad reaction alone.
I think I need to test the bees (suited up) to see if one of the colonies has become aggressive.
I was planting a shrub next to some hellebores - I'm hoping I disturbed a bee trying to get pollen in the late afternoon when nearly all the flyers had turned in.

The New Scientist article here concerning sting immunity research is interesting:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16071-a-sting-a-day-keeps-the-allergy-away/

Key points are: High doses of bee venom early in the year block the normal potent immune reaction for the remainder of the season.

At the beginning of the season beekeepers showed typical signs of an immune response to the stings on their skin, including inflammation and swelling. Within a week, their immune system had adapted to nullify this response, only for it to return the following year after the winter break.

After an average of 13(!) stings a week, beekeepers quickly desensitise to show little reaction to stings due to the the production of cells that dampen the immune attack, called regulatory T-cells.

The first bee attacks of the season trigger the production of histamine, a chemical that drives allergic reactions. But as the beekeeper is further stung, a class of T-cell that would normally boost the immune response against the venom instead senses the histamine and morphs into regulatory T-cells, calming the immune response.

So where a normal person’s immune system flares up when stung, producing inflammation and pain, a venom-tolerant beekeeper’s extra regulatory T-cells ensure the response is much more muted.

Thanks Viridens - not sure I like the idea of 13 stings a week!
It will be interesting to see how things develop. I think I'll seek getting an epi pen as a starter.
Today's response might be down to where it stung me - on one of the two big tubes that go from your neck to the brain.

Good luck with getting an EpiPen. they don't give them out easily. Glad it's going down
E

Latest posts

Back