Attempted Hive Thefts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Had an email through from my local BKA today. A member in the Bath area has had a nuc stolen and some their full size hives prepared ready to be removed. Thieves are obviously on the lookout for overwintered colonies ready to sell on.

Had an email through from my local BKA today. A member in the Bath area has had a nuc stolen and some their full size hives prepared ready to be removed. Thieves are obviously on the lookout for overwintered colonies ready to sell on.
It usually starts about the end of February, early March ... they are a bit early this year. Probably easier at present as its been cold and they are smaller colonies. Time to make sure any out apiary hives are secured in one way or another. It may not prevent theft but what you want to do is make theft difficult and hope the thieves move on to easier pickings ...

A ground anchor and a chain securely attached to the hive is the cheapest and easiest deterrent.

It's a worry isn't it ? My hives are secure in my garden but I know plenty of people with out apiaries and it must be a concern.
I even worry about the ones in my garden. We have an odd shaped plot which wraps round the house and the hives are in what might be described as the ‘front garden’ so could be seen by visitors if they were looking hard enough.

I have an apiary in a friends orchard and at this time of year (with no leaves on the dwarf trees) the hives are very visible from the road when looking through a 5 bar gate. I have put screens of debris netting between posts up to hide the hives to a casual observer

I have an apiary in a friends orchard and at this time of year (with no leaves on the dwarf trees) the hives are very visible from the road when looking through a 5 bar gate. I have put screens of debris netting between posts up to hide the hives to a casual observer
That’s a good idea.

Funnily enough, that’s what I have around my home apiary. It’s mostly to make them fly up and out and to afford some protection from the wind but it does make them less visible.

Funnily enough, that’s what I have around my home apiary. It’s mostly to make them fly up and out and to afford some protection from the wind but it does make them less visible.
I have a line of bay trees around mine at the bottom of the garden. My garden is very secluded, but you never know!!!!

That’s what I usually use the netting for but I noticed I could see the hives as I drove by the orchard so decided I should try to make them less obvious. One thickness didn’t obscure them enough so I ended up putting 2 doubled lengths of black mesh up (4 thicknesses) which didn’t blank out the hives completely but made them indistinguishable.

I have a load of planks of wood with 3” nails sticking up all around my hives covered in leaves so anyone getting too close gets a nail or 2 through their foot. Also the floors are screwed to the pallet they sit on them the brood box on top. 2 hives per pallet so the whole pallet would have to be taken or the hive won’t come away in one piece

I have a load of planks of wood with 3” nails sticking up all around my hives covered in leaves so anyone getting too close gets a nail or 2 through their foot. Also the floors are screwed to the pallet they sit on them the brood box on top. 2 hives per pallet so the whole pallet would have to be taken or the hive won’t come away in one piece
You can do that……but it’s not a good idea to tell people😂

@Wingy...I know hive thieves are scoundrels, but that's not very nice either. It is possible that a person with no ill-intent could venture close to your hives. If they are close to a publicly acessible area I dare say I wuld be interested and venture closer if I saw them....natural curiosity as a beekeeper myself.

@Wingy...I know hive thieves are scoundrels, but that's not very nice either. It is possible that a person with no ill-intent could venture close to your hives. If they are close to a publicly acessible area I dare say I wuld be interested and venture closer if I saw them....natural curiosity as a beekeeper myself.
regardless of whether they are up to skulduggery or not - if you lay a 'trap' with the intent to injure a trespasser then you have firmly put yourself on the wrong side of the law.

regardless of whether they are up to skulduggery or not - if you lay a 'trap' with the intent to injure a trespasser then you have firmly put yourself on the wrong side of the law.
I agree and I'd say that legally, this would be viewed in the range of offences akin to intentionally setting up to electrocute a trespasser or, in the old days, a mantrap. It's quite patently wrong, but I'm annoyed now that I've had to disagree so strongly with @Wingy; I was trying to be reasonable. :)

My grandad used to remove fish without permission from the old clough dam that once supplied the village.

The local squire naturally took exception to this but could never catch him in the act so resorted to liberally sowing the area with gin traps.

Grandad found this game of cat and mouse much better sport than the actual fishing and had an entire wall of his cottage hung with a score of them.

It is probably very much leaving yourself open to prosecution should an individual become impaled, whether they had malicious intentions or not,
I would not want to test this in a court.

An old mate of mine used to have a water bath inside his garage door and a live wire with 240v, which was great until he got broken in & the scumbag got fried, he did nearly die actually.
My mate got a suspended sentence

Mine are on a farm about a mile from any road I've out Heras fencing around them and then camouflage netting over the fencing works a treat and very hard to see

Latest posts

Back