Attempted Hive Thefts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But bee thieves are interested in stealing the livestock not the containers. Roofs would be the first thing to be discarded.
My work for the occasional opportunist hoping to make some beer money by stealing a complete hive but....
Yes but they would probably keep roofs on until arrived at destination.
Instead of branding a UV pen might do the same job much more simply.

Presuming that thieves don't usually want to open hives at the apiary (accepting that there are exceptions), I presume they will target small hives eg 1 brood + 1 super, as in the recent theft.
There could be a benefit in using a concealable "crown board" eg v thin plastic with a block of insulation on top cut to fit inside a super, and stacking several empty supers on top to give the appearance of a large heavy hive.

Mark the queen with a weird colour combination, branding the hive/frames, mark about 20 drones a weird colour too. Advertise these details in the event of theft. Just make the whole business of concealing the item 's identity not worth the effort for the thief. If you bought a hive with those in it you would ask questions - wouldn't you?

Mark the queen with a weird colour combination, branding the hive/frames, mark about 20 drones a weird colour too. Advertise these details in the event of theft. Just make the whole business of concealing the item 's identity not worth the effort for the thief. If you bought a hive with those in it you would ask questions - wouldn't you?
The hive has still gone though!

I'll leave you fine fellas to continue your arguments without me.

I tried to stimulate some positive thoughts on attempting to make life a little more awkward or difficult for the bee thieves, hoping it would then lead to some practical trials and tests.

No, I'm not throwing my toys out of my pram. Far, far from it! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Malcolm B.

why? when I move bees legitimately the roof is an afterthought, I just make sure the crown board is secured
Because they don't know if the crown board is closed or feed hole open - why would you risk it rather than a ratchet strap around the whole thing?

I'll leave you fine fellas to continue your arguments without me.

I tried to stimulate some positive thoughts on attempting to make life a little more awkward or difficult for the bee thieves, hoping it would then lead to some practical trials and tests.

No, I'm not throwing my toys out of my pram. Far, far from it! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Malcolm B.
The thread has reached its end, there is no more to discuss.

Mark the queen with a weird colour combination, branding the hive/frames, mark about 20 drones a weird colour too
paint every worker a lurid shade of purple?
think we are drifting into the seas of ridiculousness now

I appreciate that this was probably tongue in cheek but, good luck with that one. As soon as you use a base ball bat as a weapon it becomes just that. If that "use" causes injury the onus would be on you to justify the "use," and that the level of violence was reasonable in the circumstances.

A common assault occurs if the other person is left shaken up merely by a threat.
S4 of the public order act (threatening behaviour) could also apply.

Common law does provide some protection for self defence.
Section 3 of criminal law act also provides some protection re use of force to prevent a crime occurring.

I would say get to a safe distance and mobile phone with a camera is the best option, photograph them or video them and capture vehicles and number plates then contact the Popo.4 If you're lucky, 3 or 4 days later they may arrive.

Am I saying that you can't intervene - absolutely not. Just done put yourself at risk of getting hurt or prosecuted.

Tony Martin's mistake was not being thorough enough. Modern arable farming presents any number of methods of efficient disposal of waste material when a job is carried out completely. We'll omit BrickTop's methods for the time being.🙉🙈🙊

Tony Martin's mistake was not being thorough enough. Modern arable farming presents any number of methods of efficient disposal of waste material when a job is carried out completely. We'll omit BrickTop's methods for the time being.🙉🙈🙊
Thats incorrect. Tony Martins mistake was he openly said, "the next person who breaks into my farmer i will shoot dead." It wasn't difficult for the CPS to prove intent. Others have successfully defended lethal force during a burglary of a dwelling.

There is also a big difference between burglary of someone's home and stealing hives from a field. You went a little off track with that comment. Lol.

Thats incorrect. Tony Martins mistake was he openly said, "the next person who breaks into my farmer i will shoot dead." It wasn't difficult for the CPS to prove intent. Others have successfully defended lethal force during a burglary of a dwelling.

There is also a big difference between burglary of someone's home and stealing hives from a field. You went a little off track with that comment. Lol.

Letting one escape was the mistake. If all had simply gone missing, never to be found again, it's highly unlikely anyone would have either known or cared.

Latest posts

Back