Fareham Hants Area New Keeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello All. Tim Cooper, a 66 year old beginner here. I completed my bee basic course with Fareham & District BKA last January and somehow caught a bug! I have actively followed a number of experienced keepers throughout the year and their generous donation of time and experience has put me in a confidence place slightly higher than minimal.
I have four colonies overwintering and four hive kits on two hive stands ready to go. Although I have a local allotment, I have opted to take up two generous location offers towards the edge of the new forest which I will put up very soon to overwinter on site.
An avid collector of information on the share subject, please be gentle with any stupid questions I might raise (yes! There are stupid questions).
Happy overwintering All
Tim

Hello All. Tim Cooper, a 66 year old beginner here. I completed my bee basic course with Fareham & District BKA last January and somehow caught a bug! I have actively followed a number of experienced keepers throughout the year and their generous donation of time and experience has put me in a confidence place slightly higher than minimal.
I have four colonies overwintering and four hive kits on two hive stands ready to go. Although I have a local allotment, I have opted to take up two generous location offers towards the edge of the new forest which I will put up very soon to overwinter on site.
An avid collector of information on the share subject, please be gentle with any stupid questions I might raise (yes! There are stupid questions).
Happy overwintering All
Tim
Welcome Tim,
Your story rings so many bells with me
Please don’t be afraid to ask questions here - especially in the beginners section no matter how daft you may think they are. We were all beginners once.
Also if you get a rather tart reply please don’t tar the whole forum with the same brush as I’m sure you will get further reply’s in a much more understanding vein.
Enjoy your trips here and continue to use multiple sources for your info.
Neil

Welcome Tim....As Neil says above; plus, I'm about 12 yrs in and still consider myself a beginner, so you're in good company.

Happy overwintering All
Tim
Welcome Tim, the Costa del Fareham is a great place to keep bees .. remember that weekly inspections are fairly necessary during the season and the nearer they are to where you are most of the time makes it a lot easier and less onerous .. the New Forest sites are good for the heather but some places are less than desirable for forage, as far as the bees are concerned, outside of the heather. Be sure to do a good walk around before comitting to see what trees, plants and shrubs are around the apiary that will provide for your bees throughout the season.

Latest posts

Back