Drone congregation area's.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Found this interesting piece about drone congregation area's,thought it might be intresting to some new beekeepers.
......................................................................................................

Drone congregation areas

‘There is a natural occurrence to be met with upon the highest part of our down on hot summer days, which always amuses me much, without giving me any satisfaction with respect to the cause of it; & that is a loud audible humming of bees in the air, tho’ not one insect is to be seen. This sound is to be heard distinctly the whole common through, from the Moneydells, to Mr White’s avenue-gate. Any person would suppose that a large swarm of bees was in motion, & playing about over his head. This noise was heard last week on June 28th.’

Gilbert White, ‘A Natural History of Selborne’

The above writing is believed to be the earliest known reference to what we now call a drone congregation area. (DCA)

Although a lot of research has been carried out into drone behaviour in DCAs, no one has yet satisfactorily explained why the DCAs occur in certain places, and even more mystifying, why they persist in the same places year after year. (The DCA referred to by Gilbert White is still in use today.

Virtually all drones die in the previous autumn, so how do the new drones know where to go? Light distribution and the contour of the horizon seem to play a part in choosing a site Pechhacker 1994) and Zmarlicki and Morse determined that most DCAs seem to be located over an open area of land of about a hectare, protected from strong winds .Obstructions such as high buildings and tall trees are avoided, but not all open spaces are used. The flyways connecting the DCAs tend to follow lines of trees or hedges, etc . There may be several DCAs adjacent to each other. One study showed that a 10 sq k. area next to an commercial apiary contained at least 26 DCAs and 18km of flyways. Based on radar images a DCA was defined as an area approx. 100m in diameter, where the drones fly at a mean height of 25m-it depends on wind velocity. The stronger the wind, the lower the drones fly.

POETRY BREAK

The night is still young and our drinks are yet long,
The fire's burning bright and here brave is the throng,
So now I will sing you a sooth little song
Of the busy brown bee - with a ding and a dong.

—J. R. R. Tolkien, Natura Apis (A drinking song)

Many drones seem to stay faithful to one DCA, but may visit another in the same general direction. Two to three miles seems to be an average distance for a drone to fly, but they have been known to travel up to 5 miles. For a queen rearer wanting pure matings from a mating apiary, it seems that this is the minimum distance there must be from any other hives, or else a physical barrier of 500m or more must be present. The parentage of a sample of drones was tested in Germany in 1998, and the conclusion reached was that all the colonies in the area seemed to send roughly the same proportion of delegates to the meeting, thus minimising the chances of inbreeding. (C.Collinson, Bee Culture, Sep. 2008) Because mating takes place in flight, it is difficult to observe.

Modern technology such as radar, combined with the technique of tethering a virgin queen to a moving line, has shown drones detecting a virgin forming a long comet- shaped tail behind her. Recent studies have shown that the drones find the virgin primarily by smell. One of the components of queen substance, called 9-ODA, attracts drones during mating flights. (Apis UK, July 2008). However, it has also been noticed that drones will momentarily chase anything that moves, butterflies, dragonflies or a thrown stone, so presumably eyesight plays a part as well.

Drones have to be very fit and well developed to mate with a queen. In addition to the excellent flying power needed to catch the queen, they must have ample supplies of spermatazoa, as only a fraction of each ejaculate will migrate to the queen’s spermatheca. (Woyke and Jasinski, 1973) In a series of studies made by Duay et al, in 2002, it was shown that the effects of parasitism by Varroa destructor in the larval stage, could seriously affect the drones ability to mate. A significant reduction in drone body weight resulted from invasion by only one female varroa mite, and two or more mites reduced drone life expectancy so much that sexual maturity was seldom reached. Varroa parasitism by only one mite hardly affected flying power but sperm production was reduced by 24%. In those drones that survived, two female mites invasion resulted in greatly reduced flying power and a sperm reduction of 45%. Other interesting facts to emerge are;

1. Drones like it hot. Flying to a DCA and gathering enough drones to form a comet only occurs at 18C or above.
2. They are very good time keepers, generally flying between 2.00pm and 6.00pm This varies according to the weather.
3. Drones returning to the apiary outside these times were not interested in a queen.
4. Maximum flight height in flyways is 21m, but in DCAs it can reach 50m.
5. Drones can make several trips to a DCA in an afternoon, returning to the hive to refuel when necessary. Each mating flight lasts about 30 mins.
6. The number of drones in a DCA can vary enormously, from hundreds to thousands.
7. Usually, 7 to 11 drones will mate with a queen. About 90 million sperm will be deposited in her oviducts, and a mixture of about 7 million of them will be stored in her spermatheca

Mating

The actual process of mating has now been documented quite thoroughly. drone mounts a queen and inserts his endophallus and ejaculates his semen. During ejaculation he falls backwards and his endophallus is torn from his body, remaining in the queen. Any subsequent males mating with the queen dislodge the previous drones endophallus and leave their own in its place. The drones die quickly with their abdomens ruptured in this fashion. The queen returns to her hive still carrying the endophallus of the last male to mate with her. Beekeepers call this the ‘mating sign’ It will be removed by the nurse bees. The process is described very clearly in ‘The Biology of the Honeybee’ by Mark Winston.

The Down-and-Out.

Once the mating season is over, the ‘raison d’etre’ of the drones is gone. Only in queenless or very well provisioned colonies will some be allowed to overwinter in the hive. There is no sentimentality in nature, and drones with no function to perform are simply a drain on valuable resources, ie honey stores. In the autumn they are refused entry to the hive, or have their wings bitten and are forcibly ejected, to die of cold and starvation.

BIBLIOGRPHY

‘Bees, Biology and Management’ by Peter G. Kevan.

‘The Biology of the Honeybee’ by Mark L. Winston.

‘Anatomy and Dissection of the Honeybee’ by H. A.Dade.

‘Bee Genetics and Breeding’ edited by Thomas Rinderer

‘Drone Congregation Areas’ by C. Collison. (Bee Culture, Sep 2008)

‘Beekeeping’ by Kim Flottum.

‘Pheromones of the Social bees’ by John Free.

‘The Honey Bees of the British Isles’ by Beowolf Cooper.

And why is understanding of drone behaviour so important? Understanding drones may well be the key to controlling varroa. Drones range over a 5 mile radius. Workers range over a 3 mile radius. Drones are tolerated , even welcomed in strange hives. Worker bees are prevented from entering starange hives unless they have a full load of honey. For the varroa mite to spread it needs to defferentially lay in drone cells . This behaviour has evolved within the primary host/parastite, that of apis cerana/Varroa destructor. Those who keep the Honey Bee, Apis melifera, have long noticed the preference for varroa to lay in drone cells. This has lead to the destruction of drone cells becoming an indicator of varroa infestation . Stimulation of the queen to lay whole frames of drones which are then destroyed is now a regular part of Integrated Pest Management IPM.

This is excellent information.
I’ve wandered around the surrounding fields listening for a DCA but have never located one. Looking at the timings though I’ve probably being too early.
Three things I’ve come to appreciate much more in bee keeping are pollen, winter bees and drones. I have reduced drone culling as an IPM manipulation.
I did talk to one chap who though DCA might form at the junction of lay lines….I’ve not seen any of those, either!

I haven't tried it but if you confine a virgin queen in a cage and raise it into the air, either on the end of a long fishing pole or below a child's helium balloon tethered by fishing line, then it is possible to go fishing for DCAs. A comet of drones will appear when you hit the right spot. I think you need to get 10m or more up into the air.

Just don't try it in thundery weather!

The problem is balance, in the matter of drone culling.

Pre Varroa, and yes there was once that happy time, I found that the bees drew out drone comb in the well of the poly hive, and yes they existed that long ago and more.

The well was about 9" square, or 225 x 225mm and from the borrom bars of the brood combs the bees drew out their drone comb. If the hive was one I was not wanting to breed from I culled the combs with the hive tool. Noticibly the bees with this extra space did NOT mess with the brood combs to make yet more drone cells.

Now we are urged to remove drone cells for rasons of removing varroa. I agree that this is an excellent way of reducing the mites as the attraction factor is massively in favout of the drones cells, by reason of the mites getting more reproduction in the longer sealed cells.

What I would suggest is running a slightly deeper floor to encourage the production of drones on combs under the broods, and also to run a super frame to allow the trapping too.

Yes you are going to get some mites in all the drone combs but there will be less on average and so more viable drones to hand.

When one is running many colonies I don't think that there will be a massive loss of viability as there will almost always be enough to service the virgins, but when there are only the classic pair of hives then yes, if they are isolated, then lack of viable drones is a serious issue.

PH

Thanks PH, fascinating stuff. Just to confirm I've got it right- the drone comb on the bottom of the frames you let them keep, just sacrifice the piece off the bottom of the super? I've been wondering about how to use sacrificial frames without overdoing it and annoying the bees- sounds like a logical solution.

I think this might be the original from Montgomeryshire BeeKeepers Association, although I thought I had read a similar entry in the newsletter Apis UK

click here

To add to the mix, a few interesting quotes from "Bee Sex Essentials" by Connor (thanks indirectly to Norton for the recommendation):

When Don Peer located mating nuclei at increasing distances from the drone source, using extreme isolation conditions, he obtained 89% mating at 5.7km, 67% mating at 12.8km and 25% mating at 16km but only after 4 weeks.

J. Woyke observed that queens had better mating success when drones were placed 2.5km away from the apiary instead of being in the same location.

... since drones fly a shorter distance to a mating area and the virgin a greater distance, the drones in the mating colony rarely mate with the queen from that colony.

New to me were researches that the queen does not flye very far. Compared the the returning time and flying speed, the queen seldom flies over one kilometre to mate. As the research says, queens fly to nearest drone swarm.

Queens need 2 fine day to fill the spermatheca. 3 days is normal too.

In my country mating flights need 20C and calm wind and sun. In Florida 15C is enough. Thre sun shine is stronger than here.

The short mating distance encourage me to select drone hives carefully. i took that into my program only some years ago.

In Beowulf A Coopers 'The Honeybees of the British Isles' chapter five goes into some detail on how to track down DCA's using some basic equipment. It also lists over 50 known DCA's in the British Isles. A little dry as a read but full of lots of interesting snippets of information.

i presume he was referring to the OP not "The Honeybees of the British Isles" which unfortunately is only available as snippets on google books.

Our association tried this the year before last, we filled helium balloons and had the virgin below, must have been about 12 to 15 of us loons. Put it this way I have more useful things to do with my time now and I think some things are best left to mother nature. That is unless you are doing II!!
kev

PH

polyhive - i meant only with reference to how much text was available on google books (unlike many other beek books where you can read everything) NOT sole availability.

When I move my hives to outer pastures, it seems that there are no other beekeepers and hives on pastures. But then new Italian virgins mate with Carniolans and they are there every year. Are they escaped swarms or beehives or what, but there are more colonies in villages and woods what I may expect.

Even if you kill all drones from your hives, there are still thousands of other drones on sky.

The time what queens use to mating trips is short. It tells that queen mostly stays at the distance of less than 1 km. Queen makes several mating flights in one day and alltogether, it needs 2-3 days to mate itself fully.

In older beekeeping books stories about mating are quite much imagination.

Latest posts

Back