Astronomical Event tonight...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stargazers are being urged to keep their eyes peeled on Tuesday night as Earth braces for the peak of the 2011 Geminids meteor shower.

The final celestial event of the year is set to peak on 13 and 14 December in the UK between 8pm and 2am with another potential chance to view it on 14 and 15 December - that’s if you are brave enough to go out.

Kit Hill ( The name of our NEW Gwenyn Kernow group) is a favourite spot for gazing at stars.... and with dog walkers apparently !

Unfortunately it's not the greatest of nights given the weather and the fact that the moon is close to full. For those who would like to see them, they're called the Geminids because the constellation of Gemini is the part of the sky they appear to originate from, but you can often see meteors from such showers all over the sky regardless of their source (these major meteor showers happen at least half a dozen times a year).

Gemini is rising above the eastern horizon right now (6:30pm GMT). It's not the easiest of constellations to recognise, but if you can find Orion (much easier to pick out) and think of his "head" as 12 o'clock and feet as 6 o'clock, then Gemini is to Orion's immediate left, at about 10 o'clock. The constellation looks like two stick men holding hands, with the brightest stars (Castor and Pollux, denoting their heads) towards the north.

The best way to see meteors is to find a comfortable chair (a reclining deck chair is really good), wrap up warm and sit outside in as much darkness as possible. Then just watch the sky and wait. It can take thirty minutes or for your eyes to properly adjust to the dark. Given a bit of time it's surprising how much detail you can pick out.

If you fancy a really late night, Jupiter is already in the sky, Mars rises at about 11:30pm, Saturn around 3:30am and Mercury around 6:30am. All should be visible to the naked eye on a good night, so you could potentially see all but one of the planets visible without a telescope in a single night.

James

Unfortunately it's not the greatest of nights given the weather and the fact that the moon is close to full.

i think weather is perfect in my location, but am I missing somthing???? The moon!

I can not see it!

Edit, think it is because it is so low?

Last edited:
If you have a pair of binoculars, you should be able to make Jupiter out as a disc and perhaps see some of the four Galilean moons (Io, Callisto, Europa and Ganymede) as well. Holding them steady enough is the tricky part. If a tripod or monopod isn't available, using an inverted broom or something similar as a rest can often do the job.

Once Saturn is observable at a more sociable hour I recommend trying to find it with binoculars as it's then just possible to make out the rings. With even a relatively small aperture telescope the shadow of the planet across the rings is visible. I find that quite awe-inspiring given that the planet is a billion and a half kilometres away, give or take.

James

You won't see Saturn's rings at the moment as they are edge on - but I agree they are impressive when they are more visible and even with binoclars you can see the planet has "ears".

The most Recent Sky at Night was very interesting, after talking about the outer planets ("ice giants") it looks at Saturn. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mk7h

You'll probably struggle to understand what Patrick is saying as he needs new dentures (according to my wife), but the images are superb.

My Husband spent ages with the back door open - setting up his telescope - every time I shut it he dashed in to pick up another bit - then just as he was ready??? A great big lump of cloud settled over our village!! There is justice!!

You won't see Saturn's rings at the moment as they are edge on - but I agree they are impressive when they are more visible and even with binoclars you can see the planet has "ears".

Looking at some photos taken (by other people) a couple of nights ago, they're not too close to "edge on". Perhaps at thirty degrees to the "horizontal". They don't look that different from this, which is one of the better (though far from brilliant, I admit) photos I took last Spring:

View attachment 5499

The more open the rings are the better as far as binocular viewing goes though, definitely.

You'll probably struggle to understand what Patrick is saying as he needs new dentures (according to my wife), but the images are superb.

It's easy to forget that he's not that far off 89 years old, and in far from the best of health. It does take a while to get your ear in though.

James

Sorry, my mistake, it was 2009 when it was edge to the Earth - so I am a bit late with this news! I mis-heard the commentary about the image which appears at 23:30 on the PM programme - this shows the rings edge on - but it was taken by a space probe - Cassini.

Latest posts

Back