God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My autumn raspberries (polka) have suffered from the wet winter, indifferent spring weather and then the dry cloudy summer. As have most of the other fruit and veg in the garden apart from apples.
I've had a couple of blight free years growing a couple of the Crimson tomato varieties, yield was poor this year compared to 2023. Seed are expensive (£4.49 for 10?) but better than an afflicted crop.
Beetroot have stayed golf ball size, celeriac tennis ball, not many borlotti beans, sweetcorn was average, mange tout were thirsty, salad leaves were good until the flea beetle arrived, courgettes never really got going. I had a satisfying time yesterday clearing the summer veg and spreading last year's leaf mulch.
Parsnips look promising though, looking forward to them at Xmas. They're definitely veg planted without much rational thought - we don't eat that many, they're cheap to buy and I doubt freshness is an issue.
I think that pretty much sums up this year's fruit and veg growing for a lot of us ... certainly reflected in most of the people I know down here with allotments.

There have been exceptions - my neighbour is picking Brussels sprouts on his allotment already and reckons they are going to be a bumper crop right the way through to Xmas ... some things just defy nature.

Latest posts

Back