Lightning is anyone watching it tonight

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing down here as usual .. just very hot and muggy ...we sometimes see it in the distance on the Isle of Wight and behind us and to the North ... rain for us scheduled towards the end of the week if we are lucky. Garden and Allotment both like the Sahara now again.

Used to be nothing better than being at sea, at night, in a thunderstorm, sheet lightning, forked lightning - even ball lightning with nothing in the wat to spoil the view.
Although, sat in the wheelhouse of a cutter (albeit alongside) in Alderney and taking a direct hit was, let's say, an experience. I was on the phone to SWMBO at the time (onboard hard wired mobile phone) - 'have to go' I said 'think we've just been struck by lighting' as everything began to shut down and only the alarms to keep us sane. it even blew the UPS (uninterrupted power supply) batteries.

Nothing down here as usual .. just very hot and muggy ...we sometimes see it in the distance on the Isle of Wight and behind us and to the North ... rain for us scheduled towards the end of the week if we are lucky. Garden and Allotment both like the Sahara now again.
Sounds like you live in a different country down there Philip. I don't even think I've been down that way or seen the isle of white I think I need to get out more.

A beautiful storm passed over earlier this evening, with continuous rumbling and grumbling thunder and every now and again a really stunning fork of lightning with explosive blast of thunder. I could feel my hair standing on end after the closest. Very tall clouds but not enough rain! I've just been outside and while we have clear skies overhead now there's constant flickering lightning to the east - too far away to hear the thunder.

Used to be nothing better than being at sea, at night, in a thunderstorm, sheet lightning, forked lightning - even ball lightning with nothing in the wat to spoil the view.
Although, sat in the wheelhouse of a cutter (albeit alongside) in Alderney and taking a direct hit was, let's say, an experience. I was on the phone to SWMBO at the time (onboard hard wired mobile phone) - 'have to go' I said 'think we've just been struck by lighting' as everything began to shut down and only the alarms to keep us sane. it even blew the UPS (uninterrupted power supply) batteries.
It is very exciting I can remember as a teenager going up the cats back on horse back with friends ( pony treaking)
In the summer and it started to thunder.. lightning hit Lord Herefords knob it was so load I've never ridden a horse so fast back down the mountain.
Another time on cb radio dxing at hay bluff, a bolt came down not to far away and wiped the cb out again my little fiesta 1.1 was driven like a go cart..

It looks like its really high up in the atmosphere tonight not alot of thunder either.
Emyr you will see the video on my Facebook.
Night all I've got to be up at 5am

How are horses with thunderstorms? It's curious that dogs are so sensitive and nervous of storms approaching, but cats don't seem bothered. (They hate wind instead.)

Sounds like you live in a different country down there Philip. I don't even think I've been down that way or seen the isle of white I think I need to get out more.

Yes, extraordinary microclimate ... we are protected from the North by Portsdown hill and the South downs beyonnd that, to the South is the Isle of Wight and the solent ... the Solent is a huge body of water that doesn't move a lot so stays very warm .. the prevaling winds are Westerlies or South Westerlies so they get dissipated by both the landmass to the West and the Isle of Wight. We rarely get snow and are generally a few degrees warmer than other surrounding areas ...

Used to love watching a storm at night as a kid and still do
Quiet her tonight, though we had a cracker driving down to Swansea on Monday.
August is time for the Perseids. We could do with some clear skies too

Lovely. Did you get any stills?
I did dani, but they aren't very good.. I even tried recording in slow-mo.. There was a lot of interference when I was recording on my phone..
The weather forecast is saying lightning storms again later... The children want to watch them again, so we will know dowt end up by the radar again. exciting!!! 

We could do with one down here! The ground is cracked, the grass is brown, but the bees are loving it!

lightning hit Lord Herefords knob it was so load I've never ridden a horse so fast
Not surprised - I think I'd be shouting pretty loudly if I was hit there!
Poor dab! I hope he was OK

Last edited:
We had a couple of hours of thunder, lightening and heavy rain on Monday morning. One strike was very close and I had wondered if there's any record of a bee hive ever being struck?

At least the water butts are all now full.

It's a lovely part of the world.. Llanthony is one of my favourite areas.
Ive walked from Longtown up the offas dyke path and we ended up in Llanthony, the priory is a very special place, there isn't many priorys with a pub.

Spent a lot of time in the half moon in my younger days, Infact had my 18th birthday there with some friends. Blimey that was 22 years ago
I prosume you know where I mean?

Latest posts

Back