Asian Hornet heads up for the Scots

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only way to explain that - because we KNOW a brood nest and stores cannot be that heavyy is the weight has been consumed and left the hive either as dead insects of excrement.

If true, the entrances - or rather the ground near them - should be covered in many centimeters of dead insects and excrement...

When it comes to excrement there isn't that much indigestable material. A nest will generate a reasonable amount of detritus which may or may not aggregate depending on nest location. In one particular instance the amount of detritus produced by a nest in an attic space caused the plasterboard ceiling to collapse. In other situations the wasps will carry and drop the detritus away from the nest leaving little trace.

Most excretion however is either through expiration of carbon dioxide (carbohydrate metabolism) or urination which again leave little trace. Wasps are incredibly 'wet' insects and are constantly peeing.

Apologies for going off topic but that was to defend and justify the recommendation not to set spring traps for velutina on the off chance.

Apologies for going off topic but that was to defend and justify the recommendation not to set spring traps for velutina on the off chance.

I won't be setting up traps until I'm told they are in my area - trapping isn't something to be done lightly.

I'm hoping technologies like gene silencing provide a long term and targeted solution to invasive species.

The trap I removed last week had 2 native hornets in.
Not sure when they were caught.
It's removed now so I don't catch anymore.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

No need to apologise Karol, you didn't take it off topic. I spent some time discussing the Hornet issue at the WBKA convention. There were samples of Hornets for people to see and they were pushing a catch and release type of trap. I pointed out that this was fine if the apiary was a garden one and that my main concern was the plight of Crabro. Far too precious a creature to end up suffering due to alarmism.
I don't use traps.

Edit to add I've just seen the above post which just proves my concern.

Last edited:
I agree about trapping with negative consequences. Too easy to knee jerk. Although invasive species are a problem and they are very good at invading. Look at Balsam, American crayfish impact on white clawed crayfish.

It's a real quandry.

Judging by the expression, I'd say it was something they'd not considered.

Me: I don't like the thought of trapping because I'm concerned about our own Hornets.

Him: Which is why we are encouraging these so you can release blah blah.

Me: That's ok if your bees are down the garden but with out apiaries we are going to find possibly loads of dead Crabro but no sign of Velutina.

Him: Hmmm.

Me: Top of the agenda should be educating people about both blah, blah.

Him: That's right, it's all about education, education, education.

Latest posts

Back