Asian Hornet heads up for the Scots

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bloody hell not good news

Info ... Info... Need more info.

Well done to whoever spotted it.

Location ? Type of store ? Part of a chain ? Gardening section ?

Hope there is a DNA analysis shortly.

The SBA Science officer posted it on the Scottish Native bee group on FB, I just spread it a bit further around.

PH

Well, I for one will not be getting my knickers in a twist about it. Probably, if confirmed, arrived at foresaid facility as a dormant queen in a load of goods from wherever. Got into the facility, warmed up, and was spotted.

One little snippet like this and the internet chatter goes off like a fox just got into the henhouse.

Asian hornet, even in the unlikely event it truly does arrive in Scotland aint going to be the end of the world as we know it. Bit brassers up here for such beasties to truly prosper. Even European hornets don't make it here.

Do we have a picture? :facts:

Or is it another sensationalist hack on a slow news day?
:paparazzi:

It's been confirmed today that the Asian Hornet found in Scotland was an overwintering queen.
It has been sent to the National Bee Unit York for DNA analysis.

It's been confirmed today that the Asian Hornet found in Scotland was an overwintering queen.

This cannot be good news. I hear it was a mild winter in Scotland as well- quite within their native temperature range. Was the Scottish specimen caught alive?

It was a pest control operative that found the Asian hornet I believe. Not sure though if it was alive when captured. The worrying thing is :- Did originate from a colony in this country?

This cannot be good news. I hear it was a mild winter in Scotland as well- quite within their native temperature range. Was the Scottish specimen caught alive?

It was found in a retail warehouse, not in the field. Wasps, and these are in reality just wasps on steroids, have not started their season here yet, queens are still dormant and we come across some every day.

In the location it was found there is no reason to suspect it to be anything other than an overwintering queen that arrived on goods from an area where the hornets are extant.

We do not get European hornets here. Also our summers are short and there are a lot of things against this being a severe pest.

I am more interested to see where it apparently came from than harbouring any serious fears of the pest.

Will be at our southern unit next week, will be more interested in what is going on there as one lot is a mere 16 miles from Tetbury.

Latest posts

Back