Apiguard Vs Hiveclean Vs Oxalic Acid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellabee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,

We recently used Hiveclean on our darlings (3rd October), and was told that would not be enough... Anyone know if we can also use a packet of Apiguard this week as well...? Too soon.

Plan a) Just Hiveclean this year

Plan b) Hiveclean and Apiguard this week

Plan c) Hiveclean and Apiguard this week, and Oxalic Acid December

Plan d) Open to suggestions...?

Just apiguard for 4-6 weeks but might be getting a bit late for that.
Monitor mite fall then make a decision about oxalic depending on that.
I used Apilife Var (thymol as apiguard) and 3 colonies dropped ten mites between them in two weeks so am not treating with Oxalic.

I have not used hiveclean but I understand it’s a treatment that you use throughout the year and works similar to icing sugar.

Its getting late now for Apiguard although some people apply it late. It’s a min 4 week application with one tray lasting two weeks and the 2nd tray after the two weeks for a further two weeks min.

OA in the dead of winter is up to you but given that it looks as though you are a bit late on Autumn Varroa treatments may be advised.

Have you monitored the natural mite drop this year?

d) Hiveclean then OA in December.

(Hiveclean contains some OA)

Hello,

We recently used Hiveclean on our darlings (3rd October), and was told that would not be enough... Anyone know if we can also use a packet of Apiguard this week as well...? Too soon.

Plan a) Just Hiveclean this year

Plan b) Hiveclean and Apiguard this week

Plan c) Hiveclean and Apiguard this week, and Oxalic Acid December

Plan d) Open to suggestions...?

Hiveclean is very good as far as it goes. In order for it to be most effective you need to apply it every "x" many days (see instructions) as it does nothing about the mites in the brood chambers. It can be used where you have a problem but are unable to use Apiguard because of honey stores or when you take in a swarm of unknown origin. Unless you stick to the recomended dosage period it does littel more than hasten teh fall of mites out in the open. I have given mine 3 doses AFTER Apiguard in order to catch some stagglers. I used it many times last year when my colony was close to collapse owing to mites yet still had a honey crop.

Heh heh!
no, she knows about this she is very insistent of varroa control etc from her time working as the Assembly bee liaison officer
b
But it is amazing how you can knock out some very nice beehives from old pallets and the likes (one day I will convince her!):D

I would think if all you've used is hiveclean, the chances are you have a dangerously high mite population. Were they mine I would definitely OA in December and, even though it's rather late, would Apiguard now as well, although yopu may not have time to finish the course.

Speaking as one who took my eye off the varroa ball this year and am regretting it, it's a shame you weren't asking this a month ago. Never mind- next year it's all going to be perfect! :D

You don't say if you have any mite drop figures, but if you put the board in now (are you on OMF?) that will mean a further delay of several days before treating.

Skyhook: We are Apiguarding this week, we are OMF so have put a board in to count anyway. This year (our first year) as well as trying to remember everything we managed to forget somethings, however yes you are right... Next year will be perfect. I think we will also OX in winter too, that will hopefully sort the mites out :) Good luck with yours. Are you Apiguarding now as well? We might only use one packet as we are OX in winter, and have Hivecleaned recently. Ps: Mite count no idea this year (we have been very bad)

icanhopit: Why the violins?

drstitson: ?

Thanks for the replies :)

"We might only use one packet as we are OX in winter"

NOOOOOOO!!!!!

You need to use two packs to cover the mites that are in capped brood during first treatment. Plus less effective later in year.

drstitson > Ok, we use both packets ;P and OX in Christmas holidays.

last inspection, little to no brood. Queen packed in for winter I suspect.

Latest posts

Back