Anyone keep Quail?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am interested in keeping quail for eggs. Three questions. Can you succesfully keep females only? Can you safely house them with chickens? How much space do they need? Thanks someone.

I used to breed quail yes you can keep females only chickens prop kick da litle azz'es
I used to keep them in a small space
I am thinking of doing Quail again when I get round to it when they are first born they just look like bumble bees lol

Promised myself I would on retirement 9 years ago !
Still haven't ;) Be running out of time soon :smilielol5:
Still got a couple of books . Heads up if you want them!

John Wilkinson

when they are first born they just look like bumble bees lol

This is so true, when i used to rear a fair few for eggs the visitors could never guess what the tiny blobs of fluff 'rolling' around the pen were, trully amazing bird that lay like crazy and have such a fast turn around from egg to laying adult!

I wouldn't put them with hens though, they will get beaten up , plus finding the eggs outside (assuming outside muddy run) would be a big mission as finding them in sawdust was hard enough, they don't seem to nest like hens they just pop them out where ever they are!!

C B

Not kept any yet but planning to this year.

From what I've read you need to be careful of rats:puke: 'cos they can kill the quail. Keep the quail on concrete or wire. Also, put small boxes like guinea pig hides in their enclosure for laying.

I'm no eggspert though:eek:

I keep them: raised from eggs in home made propagator. Keep outdoors in pens: minimal work.. Approx 1 egg daily per female from April to September .

Rearing is easy but requires heated environment for approx 6 ? weeks...

Mine survived the winter in unheated pens rather like dog kennels..
Tough little blighters. Males are engaging if noisy...

They live 2-3 years...

Had some miniture ones ,very flighty and had to put netting up to protect them from flying into the shed roof,had a disaster when I tried to introduce new stock-old ones killed them.

Found a good book Keeping Quail by Katie Thear Broad Leys Publishing (nothing to do with me so not advertising !):

I just stick to chickens now -much more placid

I`ve just hatched off 12 from 16 eggs, they are so tiny.

I`ve never kept them before myself, the kids want to keep these in the back garden, looks like i need to get the hammer and nails out.

Latest posts

Back