Annoying ill advised sales!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"My 5 year old said that it is a BUZZER!"

see - the Daily Mail was right last week when they got in a tizzy about Boots having "massagers" on open display on stores. Our infants should be concerning themselves with whether the State is supporting the Wottingers and the Pontipines with their huge families NOT having knowledge of "buzzers".

My carpentery skills have only evolved slightly from the level of obligatory school tea-pot stand,
but even I wouldnt have the nerve to advertise anything made to the standard of that item in the photo, and one would think that the agents/middlemen(?) would think twice after looking at it.

or is it supposed to be a "rustic" effect. Shabby chic? Shabby ***t.

Finally got a response on Facebook:
The Beehive comes with a guide to beekeeping and the frames.
I had asked about frame sizes and wax but I guess they missed that!

R2

Seems it comes with frames - 36 x 21cm which do not come with wax. National Brood or Smiths I guess?!

So your average punter is going to buy this crap and end up with an expensive wooden storage box - perhaps the BBKA should be taking them to task?

R2

Hmmmm.

Our solitary beehive is designed specifically to attract non swarming bees, such as the red mason bee,

Errm, how long will it take for a red mason bee to make 20-30lb of honey?

Isn't that 'hive' a bit big for a solitary bee?

A flurry of emails from them - latest says it comes with:
  • 1 x Wooden Beehive
  • 5 x Wooden Frames
  • 1 x Instructional Guide
So it's a nuc box!

R2

Aren't you lucky!! I've got no replies. I can make a nuc for a few quid! Can't see you going to get much honey from it though!!

Here's my latest query to these people:
Sorry Nell, forgive all the questions but in the write-up it talks about solitary bees, mason bees and non-swarming bees. It also says you can get 20 or 30lbs of honey in a season.
Mason bees create little mud compartments (according to Wikipedia) so don’t need frames yet there are 5 frames supplied.
As far as I can tell only Honey bees provide harvestable honey crops so I am totally confused by your description as they can swarm and can be aggressive (again Wikipedia).
So please can you confirm how, if I buy this hive, I might get some bees, what type of bees it takes and how I can harvest the honey?
Should make for an interesting response...

R2

Here is their helpful response:
Dear Customer

Thank you for your recent email dated 26/01/12.

With reference to your query regarding 164485 Garden Beehive.

Firstly please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you in regards to this matter .

We would like to confirm that the solitary beehive is designed specifically to attract non swarming bees like the red mason bee, which are non aggressive and vital to plant pollination. They are naturally attracted to holes in wood which are becoming rare in our tidy gardens .

A good summers harvest could yield 20-30lb of honey, depending on your location and what the bees are feeding on. During the autumn months, a sugar solution should be left out for the bees to replace the honey you have harvested, which will placate the bees.

Should you have any further questions in relation to your query please respond to this email quoting Ref: R2R2R2R2. Alternatively you can contact our Customer Service Department via telephone on 08717 123 456.

Yours Sincerely,

Preety Shetty
That has to be a made up name! Are they taking the p|ss?

R2

Reply and say that mason bees prefer brick built hives...

They are naturally attracted to holes in wood which are becoming rare in our tidy gardens .

A business opportunity there for those with the obligatory box of wood off-cuts and a drill. Wholesale Holes Sale.

Society for the preservation of holes.

Last edited:
20-30lbs of honey from non stinging mason bees? Think I'm missing a trick here. Will go nicely with egg laying cow

Latest posts

Back