Well, here's another fine mess you've gotten me into...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live opposite a church and have seriously considered the lower roof for an apiary, but I agree with the OP, it is the narrow stone spiral stairs that are the problem. You need angels to get the supers off!

I will be really intrigued as to how this pans out in the long term - do let us know.

Meg

Well Done Dusty!!

If I ever get the chance to visit Manchester I'll get a real buzz out of worshipping under them...in all senses of the word. :D

I saw the hive referred to as an "apery" - I presume the Archbish (ultimate beekeeper) is a Primate ?

Well, after all the brouhaha (lovely word, that) over setting up this hive on the Cathedral roof, it's been very quiet from me.

Incidentally, guys and gals, thanks for the interest and suggestions for a name on the labels. Much appreciated. Keep them coming.

So, first a photo of the narrow spiral stone staircase we had to got everything up:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=431&pictureid=2203

And a photo of what I am pleased to call "Manchester Cathedral Apiary":

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=431&pictureid=2202

Well, we had great fun installing the nuc, as we couldnt find the new queen. Turns out she had shed the colour disc stuck to her back. Eventually found her hiding in a cluster on the upturned roof of the transit box! Nearly a failure before we started.

So, I fed them and left them a week. Then, in feeding them again, I dropped a container of 2:1 syrup; went all over the place. No facilities for water on the roof, so I ended up killing myself carrying water up those damned stairs. But it was still there, stuck to the roof. Glistening under a sunny Manchester sky. An invitation saying, "Rob us, rob us".

And one rather embarrassed and crestfallen Canon Apiarist, revealed as a right plonker, expecting an empty hive a week later.

Which is why I reported nothing to you, my wiser and more adept colleagues.

Anyhow, I inspected them earlier yesterday. Got up on the roof - not a bee in sight! Bummer.

Then one appeared - and a second. Turns out they are all ok - if a very docile lot. They are great on the frame - very quiet indeed - but they're also not very active, it seems. Slower to pull out frames than my home nuc was, fewer flying and bringing pollen in. Didn't see the queen, but did see eggs.

So, I got away with it. And nobody will ever know how I nearly created disaster on my first inspection there. My little secret.

Dusty.

lovely job dusty and all the best with it,
one of my friends from school was bought up in a very strike christian family,so strike and firm that one day he had enough of it all so he took off and climbed our local mountains,once up there he realised that he couldnt get away from it and in fact was closer to God than ever sitting on top of the mountain.
he's now a living in mexico preaching the good word.
nothing to do with bees i know but i thought a good story.
Darren

Dusty, they have a saying across the border(Yorkshire)-
Never do owt for nowt, unless thee does it for thi sin.

or perhaps you have been a bad lad and are looking for redemption:smilielol5:

Well done Dusty, very impressive getting all that gear up that stairway, please keep us informed on how your congregation gets on.

Great stuff Dusty.
Looking forward to your description of taking the honey supers off (next year).

What happened to the congregation on on Manchester Cathedral roof Dusty.

Hi Bee 56!

Kind of you to ask. In fact, I've been trying all weekend to upload some photos without success. Let's see if I can this time:

Nope! No joy again. PM'd admin but no response yet

They're doing well, thanks. Last week we had to find and mark the queen as she'd shed her marker in transit from the supplier. Took ages to find her, even with the help of our mentor.

They are very quiet bees; I'd not use the smoker but for the need to drive them away from the edges when reassembling the hive - and for the sake of our volunteers! In fact, the bees are so laid back, I think they've probably discovered a cannabis farm on someone's roof!

Just started to be helped by a volunteer and the volunteer co-ordinator. This is not just a vanity apiary on the Cathedral roof; Manchester is nothing if not a radical, hard-working and socially campaigning cathedral.

This is part of a project to help unemployed young people into projects that can increase their confidence and self-esteem - and develop skills, particularly in project management. Next year, we're intending to expand to 4 hives - which give 3 project focuses (foci?): building hives, frames etc, beekeeping itself, extraction/marketting of honey and other hive products.

(Any kind-hearted people out there fancy donating a flat-pack hive?)

'Er indoors mumbles about how this was supposed to be a quiet, back-garden hobby to keep me at home in my declining years - instead of mentoring attractive bright young things (females). Though the thought of me flogging up to the Cathedral roof, up that never-ending spiral staircase, is enough to bring out a smile on her cheeks, as she dusts off the policies....

Mind you, it means I can cut a dashing figure on Sunday mornings, I appear after the service in my mint-green suit and trendy leather boots!

I'll try uploading again.

Thanks for asking. I'll keep you posted.

Dusty

I know it's Manchester we are talking about, but I bet it gets mighty hot up there with all that lead around bouncing the heat back up!

I know it's Manchester we are talking about, but I bet it gets mighty hot up there with all that lead around bouncing the heat back up!

Yep! But that's why it's stuck between 2 pillars - it's in shade a lot of the day except early morning and evening.

Anyhow, now these pictures are on display, we won't have the lead for much longer!

Dusty

Nice pics, nice looking hive- and nice chilled looking bees! Who did you get them from?

PS I agree about the lead- could you cover an area with something, be it rush mats or white paint?

Latest posts

Back