Well, here's another fine mess you've gotten me into...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - and steward of 8 others.
I blame the Forum, of course.

Interfering do-gooders, dispensing "good" advice without thought of the consequences.

So I decide to keep bees in my garden. To spend the odd hour in my declining years. Fine. Happy with that decision.

Then some of you on the Forum start a long thread about how undesirable that is.
"What if it goes wrong?" they say. "What if they get feisty or the neighbours complain? You have to have an 'out apiary' prepared," they say. (Sigh) "Ok", says I; "I'll look for one".

Happens to coincide with a trip round unvisited parts of the Cathedral, where I'm licensed. Including the roof.... High up, massive size, totally secure, away from everyone, lots of city gardens, parks, canal and railway verges...... "Hmmm," says I, "Might be ok in an emergency..."

So I email the Dean; he takes it to the Chapter (the committee that runs the Cathedral). They approve of it. They more than approve of it. They decide the Cathedral really must have it's own apiary. And guess who's got to organise it? So, a week later, I'm on the Cathedral roof with a working party of 8, including the Cathedral architect and his mate, the Volunteer Coordinator, the Head Verger, manager of the cathedral shop - and, crucially for me, the apiary manager from the BKA who promised to baby-sit this newbie - drawing up a feasibility study. Will the hive damage the roof? You can't alter the fabric (such as drilling holes in pillars for strapping, because you'd need a Faculty (don't ask, just don't). Let's put up a webcam. What if volunteers look over the parapets? Etc. etc. etc. Which you-know-who has to write up, together with a risk assessment (you know the sort of thing: any danger to low flying angels; bees being affected by incense from below...)

I hand the report to Chapter. The Chapter is ecstatic - lots of good theology and civic brownie points here. The Dean more so - honey for his daily porridge. They approve enthusiastically! They can find some funding........ but ......
"You must have it up and running in 8 weeks (before a major festival/campaign about the greening of the city)" "And, it will be a developing project, using Cathedral Volunteers, training them up in beekeeping."

Aaaarrrrgggghhh!!!!

Ok. Let's not panic.
Get a good price for a bespoke hive from Peak Hives - but it's a 6 week delay!
Get a promise of a very docile nuc. from a top rated supplier - in 6 weeks or so!
Contact Sherriff's bee wear - to see if they have and 'seconds' they'll sell cheaply. The answer: "Not really......but we have some gear - suit, jackets, smokers and a load of other stuff - which we will donate to you."
Incredible! How utterly generous! Thanks, Sherriff! Angela - you're an angel!

Get together all that list if stuff you need.... and wait, and wait.......

The hive is ready - only just in time - despite Nic at Peak Hives having to manage a domestic crisis at the same time. (Thanks a million, Nic. Brilliant service, as always)
A volunteer does the old linseed oil/beeswax job whilst I'm away on hols.
The Apiary Manager gets and hosts the nuc whilst I'm away.
All going well, then.

Have you ever tried to get a beehive, a garden storage container and loads of gear, up a narrow, dark, spiral stone staircase? No? Well, you should try it.
Those damned things got up there (thanks, heroic vergers) - but they ain't coming down again - not in my time they're not!

Anyhow, that's how, yesterday, the BKA apiary manager and I, were up on Manchester Cathedral roof, in the rain, installing a nuc. into a lovely new hive! (Thanks a million, Lena. Can't do it without your enthusiastic support.)

All I need to do now, is spend the rest of my life developing an Apiary, high up on the roof of a Cathedral, train volunteers, learn how to process honey on a minor commercial way, fund-raise for 3 more hives........

And my declining years, meant to be spent enjoying myself, given over to beekeeping.

One hive. That's all it was meant to be. One hive in my garden.

Then you lot had to step in with your well-meaning advice.

Thanks a lot, buddies!

(Acually, thanks a lot, buddies.)

Dusty.
Canon Apiarist.

Last edited:
Well done, who want's to retire your as young as you feel and I bet this has put a spark back into your life, God planed your destiny with one hive and blessed your cathedral with many, I bet the whole cathedral is buzzing with excitement, no bible classes at Sunday school then just you with a beekeeping chart and books lol

Well done....proud of you, you may need a hoist to get a full super down from the roof unless you are going to spin it off up there! Wait until the first swarm goes into the belfry. Oh please, please keep us in touch.
E

In my book the best non beekeeping beekeeping post on the forum yet......

Just dinna mention the mead.... ;)

PH

Excellent - wishing you and the bees good luck for the rest of the summer. Any photos?

well done dusty!
any chance of some photo's? ( pref of the story featured)

Do forum members get a free pass to the roof to check on the bees?

Great Story Dusty, As your bees are now nearer to God than most beekeeper's are you going to market it as Holy Honey?

Its amazing the lengths that the Church will go to just to increase its congregation,not worthy

Its amazing the lengths that the Church will go to just to increase its congregation,not worthy

Yep! Increased by 10,000 in one morning.

Great Story Dusty, As your bees are now nearer to God than most beekeeper's are you going to market it as Holy Honey?

We need a good name for the honey. Any other suggestions?

Do forum members get a free pass to the roof to check on the bees?

Forum members are welcome every Sunday at 10:30; some of them need to come. We especially welcome banned forum members.

well done dusty!
any chance of some photo's? ( pref of the story featured)

Photos to follow. It was persisting down yesterday morning.

Brilliant! You are clearly going to heaven :Angel_anim:

Not after the words I used getting that blasted hive up the spiral staircase.

Thanks for the support, guys and gals.

May all your supers be filled and capped soon - and ThOrnes supply of replacements be sold out.

Dusty.

Heavenly Honey
from
Cathedral Heights

Chapter & Verse
HONEY

Last edited:
"Bees in the Belfry"

And by next year you'll have to have figured out how to get full supers down those selfsame stairs, while being assisted by a few thousand previous owners ...

Dusty as Tony said pics would be great, hope you can do this.

Well done you. What denomination are the bees?

not worthy fantastic, well done dusty, sounds like you and your helpers have put alot of time and effort into this top apery. i wish you all the sucsess you deserve. what a great thread, please keep us updated, i look forward to hearing more and seeing the pictures :)

Latest posts

Back