The saga of the rotten hives!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes me too and I might do that in the end to clear the box prior to examining but to be honest I haven't got the time at present to embark on a major disassembling of a hive that will be full of "manky" honey and loads of old comb.
I'll arrange to get a roaring fire going and as I clear a section of the hive I'll put it straight onto the bonfire so I don't have every other bee in my isolation apiary all over the post mortem!! Robbing in an isolation apiary is probably not ideal! 😂
Just a word of caution. I burnt some old comb frames once! I had bees coming from every direction and flying into the flames! I don't burn old comb in the daytime any more! :hairpull:

Well today I did the final disection of the two old hives. In the first (nice) hive I found just 2 frames of bias which was on commercial frames. I cut out the brood and put it into national frames with a food frame to make up a small nuc with the bees.
The second (nasty) hive had no brood or many bees and I would guess it was Q- when I originally picked it up.
So what have I got out of rescuing these hives?
1 full hive from the nice hive with a queen from an introduced queen cell.
One small nuc from the nice hive with the original queen.
One double nuc from the nasty hive with an introduced queen cell of known gentleness
And enough timber from the boxes for 6 roofs 😀

Note the woodpecker damage to the hand holds of the commercial hive and the amount of propolis applied to try to seal it up.
IMG_604.jpgIMG_0802.jpgIMG_0803.jpgIMG_0804.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. A great result. Photos of the new roofs next? ;)
That's just a case of putting tin sheets onto the sections of box I used to encapsulate the hives and not a priority at present but when I get around to it I'll post a pic?

Well, would you believe it?
I was in my isolation apiary yesterday and wandered down the field to the 3 colonies that have come from this exercise to place a super on the largest. As I was standing on the edge of the pallet to place the super I suddenly realised the place I was standing should be occupied by the nuc with the original queen and about 4 frames of bees. SOMEONE HAD NICKED IT OVER THE WEEKEEND!
I'm not really worried financially as it's been fun and I won't miss that nuc but who would nick a scruffy looking nuc when there were better looking hives around. Maybe this was the smallest and easiest to carry and out of sight of the landlord's cctv?
More concerned that there is a beekeeper around my locality that is prepared to do this.

Arrrrrgh don’t you just want to catch the little feckers!!!!

Well today I did the final disection of the two old hives. In the first (nice) hive I found just 2 frames of bias which was on commercial frames. I cut out the brood and put it into national frames with a food frame to make up a small nuc with the bees.
View attachment 32663

dis brood worry

Urgh. Sorry to hear this. I had a nuc taken too recently + someone else locally. It seems to be a thing now.

Urgh. Sorry to hear this. I had a nuc taken too recently + someone else locally. It seems to be a thing now
Nice and easy to carry I suppose, mine was no real loss as I'm not even sure it was queenright but I'm now worrying about my other hives.

Latest posts

Back