Well, here's another fine mess you've gotten me into...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not realise you still have leper colonies in the UK.
(I was just noticing the bandaged feet of that poor beekeeper in the sage green beesuit)

Great stuff. But did you win the bet when you got that suit or lose it? I favour the sage as the 'leper' wears as opposed to the mint/pistachio or whatever it is called.

thank you for the pictures what amasing views from your apery :hurray: please keep the updates coming, probably the moast unusual place to put a hive sounds like a good comunity prodject too good luck ;)

I hope that's a dummy board in there Dusty and not 12 frames;) Great pics keep them coming.

Hi all,

Thanks, everyone, for your interest, your encouragement, suggestions - and funnies! This Forum can be a brilliant place!

I need your advice. Please take a look at the photo of our first hive, below.

As it's quite high on the roof, it will be subject to high winds.
That's why it's sited between two pillars (the other reason is the one on the left will give shade on hot days - this being a lead roof).

Of course, I always strap the hive top-to-bottom. However, it also needs to be strapped to the pillar on the right. However, as you can see, there is a gap - and putting a strap horizontally wouldn't work - as which-ever 'layer' is strapped would be pulled out of line if the wind were very strong. And putting a 'bracing board' or metal rod would be impractical as the hive will vary in height throughout the year and the roof would be a problem.

Any suggestions? I thought of that sort of clip which hooks onto a catch - but I think these have to be placed accurately - and putting in QEs or clearer boards would alter the configuration.

Of course, I ought to just rely on prayer - but prefer something a but more pragmatic!

Look forward to your advice.

Dusty.

If you strapped the brood box to the pillar with a block of wood between, surely your strap around the top and bottom would hold it all together.

If you strapped the brood box to the pillar with a block of wood between, surely your strap around the top and bottom would hold it all together.

:iagree:

My concern would be the blocks under the legs. Any way of securing them to the roof and notching legs in. AS Oscar said block wedged in to BB then strapped to pillar and straps holding the lot together.

It looks as if your down in a dip in the roof which I would think would take some of the kick out of the wind. Anyway them ain't catholic bees.

Another forum member (peteinwilts) drills a hole through the centre of a paving slab under the hive and fits a hook/eye-bolt and then passes the strap through the hook and tightens it all up - seems to work very well (although I wouldn't fancy carrying the slab up there...)

:iagree: Block of timber between BB and pillar, 1 strap around that lot then normal hive strap. The base of the legs not an issue, the block goes on top of that (and short enough not to interfere with the roof.

If you still have doubts, add sandbags on the feet. And one on the roof if you want to be silly about it. :D

Last edited:
presbeeterian, splitters.

not to be confused with the maccabees obviously

Aw my daughter's just moved down from Manchester - sounds great let us know how it goes

Latest posts

Back