• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sold Hives, nucs, and all equipment for sale, Kegworth, Leicestershire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives and 4 nucs
I am in my third season of beekeeping and have decided that I have given it a fair go, but it isn’t for me. It has become more of a chore than I hoped for, I think I am just not very good and my family need the garden back. As a result I am going to sell up. My colonies are in a bit of a state of confusion at the moment- what I think is going on is:

1 nuc (wooden box) with new (April 2017) queen.
1 nuc in Paynes poly nuc with new (April 2017) queen.
2 nucs (wooden box) which house recaptured swarms with good May 2016 queens (May 2017)
3 National hives where the colonies have recently swarmed- new queens (May 2017)
None of my queens are clipped or marked.

All of my colonies were varroa treated in autumn 2016.

Equipment-wise, I am offering:

3 National hives, each comprising brood box, 2 supers, crown board, roof and floor. All boxes are full of frames, and at the moment each hive has a super loaded (but not yet capped) with honey from the local oilseed rape fields.

One poly nuc box, with an extra brood box, an eke and a super.

Honey extractor

4 feeders

1 all-in-one bee suit (size large)

2 bee jackets with veils (size large)

1 additional National super

Spare nuc box

2 smokers (1 of which is a very nice Dadant)

Varroa treatments for the year ahead (Apiguard)

My preference would be to sell all of this as a single item for which the price would be £1200 o.n.o. If people want to buy the stuff as separate elements then I am thinking that it would be £250 for each complete hive (with bees), £140 for the nucs in wooden boxes and £185 for the poly nuc with bees. The other bits of kit can be negotiated.

I am based in Kegworth, which is on the Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire border (DE74 2FT). I would be more than happy to help load up van/car for transport. You will need your own hive straps to hold it all together. If you are interested please email me at [email protected].

Last edited:
A sad day. All the best for the future

Yeh ... good luck for the future - you are certainly not alone - a large percentage of new beekeepers find it it just too stressful at times and pack in. It's one of the reasons I always recommend a period of about a year before getting bees - to get alongside someone else with bees and just see whether you can manage. Even then ... it's a matter of luck as to what your bees turn out like - and frankly with the swarming antics of your bees my other half would be INSISTING I give up !!

Hope it all goes well for you ... I can recommend buying a lathe and taking up woodturning - at least you get to make pretty firewood !

Yeh ... good luck for the future - you are certainly not alone - a large percentage of new beekeepers find it it just too stressful at times and pack in. It's one of the reasons I always recommend a period of about a year before getting bees - to get alongside someone else with bees and just see whether you can manage. Even then ... it's a matter of luck as to what your bees turn out like - and frankly with the swarming antics of your bees my other half would be INSISTING I give up !!

Hope it all goes well for you ... I can recommend buying a lathe and taking up woodturning - at least you get to make pretty firewood !

:sorry:
You're leaving us but if it's what you want to do go for it. Are you member of the local beeks assoc. and if so can you go the the monthly meetings. It will still keep you in touch with bees but you can walk away at the end of the session, hopefully without stings, and you can enjoy bees without the stress.

:iagree:I'm with Pargyle on woodturning, there's nothing like converting a lump of wood into shavings to match it, if the end result is c**p it's just kindling.

Best of luck in the future but PLEASE try to stay in touch with bees, you've had a bad start but there may a way you can stay with us idiots.

Thank you everyone- you're all very kind and supportive. I won't forget the bees! But they have to go...

Sorry you've decided to give up the bees, slangers, but after 3 seasons if you are still not too happy with them and see no chance of the situation improving then it's sensible to quit.

All the best for the future.

Non-laying queens at this time of the year?

High risk of selling drone laying colonies unless the weather comes good enough for successful mating?

Equipment may be good but depleted colonies and nucs without laying queens are suspect at this time of the year.

Thanks for that positive intervention...

I think I have a buyer now, so all's well. Will update if things don't work out.

All sold now- thanks to everyone who showed an interest.

That's me done. Good luck to you all. May the weather be kind, the honey flow and your queens be plentiful.

Latest posts

Back