Amm / Native Black Bee Discussion

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
For those interested in Amm / Native Black Bees. Tell us about your bees, queen rearing groups, successes and failures.
Please feel free to post your experiences, observations, or questions regarding the above.

Last edited:
In my experience, chalk brood is very much indigenous to the local unimproved bees in Ireland, sometimes to the extent that they prove unviable. It made me change my approach quite a few years ago and I don't think much has changed. It is completely absent in buckfast type bee , at least in the initial F1/F2 crossings, beyond which I don't go. I only see it when an uninvited swarm takes up residence in the occasional empty hive. I generally requeen these.
It would be very possible to produce a C/B resistant strain of Amm if the necessary resources and expertise were employed. The damp weather trope is a bit of an excuse.

As for queen rearing I do grafting using a cloke board and on to mating in mini-nucs . I much prefer these to apideas and will over winter a lot of queens in them for spring requeening. I can cycle them out 2-3 times over the season and don't have to draw resources from my production colonies. I do have about 30 apideas but rarely use them except when I have a glut of queen cells.

To each their own.;)

Learning to manage apideas is a bit of a faff. Grafting and raising cells is the easy part in many ways. I guess like anything it will become second nature.
So what our group did was to have an apidea set up with fondant in the reservoir. Then we’d shake nurse bees into a plastic bowl - give a quick swirl and shake and a misting of water with a hand spray. We’d scoop 300ml of bees up out of the bowl and into the upturned apidea and then drop a marked virgin queen in straight after. Then we kept the apideas closed but vent open in a dark place before setting them up in a mating apiary. This was in a wooded area so they were protected from direct sun.
Then we waited for the queens to be mated and topped up with fondant as necessary.
Mating was very dependent on weather - as to be expected. We had quite reasonable levels of mating I would say - especially considering the weather.
I would say it’s very easy for newly mated queens and their mini colonies to abscond though - so careful timing must be observed and I would say that was our biggest failing. You should have a clear plan for each queen and act in a timely fashion. Also some queens were mated very late. Which causes its own problems - trying to requeen or make up nucs in late September is less than ideal so I have a couple of queens still in Apideas with really the only choice now to see if they can overwinter in them. From what I’ve heard - this is rarely that successful.
Late matings give less time to assess the offspring of the newly mated queens so for some it will be next year before we can see if there is any yellow banding.

There’s lots to it in many ways so I’m kind of skimming over it. The most important thing was to get started and so begin the learning process!
This is invaluable, thanks for taking the time to explain it all. I'm still v much at the splitting two frames into a nuc stage, but you encourage me greatly!

The 2 frame would probably serve my purpose better and everything will depend on what I am confronted with come spring, broodwise. This about timing queens and absconding, how do you manage that ? My thoughts are that the apideas and 2 frame nucs would need an early season start to avoid being weak once wasp season kicks in. Based on what you say I am inclined towards the 2 frames. How long does an apidea take to strengthen to a small nuc ? a lot to think on. Thank you
If it’s not big numbers of queens you need I think a two frame nuc is the way to go.
An apidea can fill with brood quickly once a queen has mated - you can expand it by taking out the feeder and putting in more frames. You can then add a super for more space. I know people that do this and overwinter these.
An apidea can also become too full of stores quickly or by the same token low on stores quickly.
I don’t have a big wasp problem where my mating apiary is located but I could see them being a problem somewhere else.
When using apideas in future I will try to get the queen into a waiting nuc as soon as she’s mated and the brood looks healthy. I wil try to avoid the supers.
I’m in no way an expert on the use of apideas though - just my limited first seasons experience

If it’s not big numbers of queens you need I think a two frame nuc is the way to go.
An apidea can fill with brood quickly once a queen has mated - you can expand it by taking out the feeder and putting in more frames. You can then add a super for more space. I know people that do this and overwinter these.
An apidea can also become too full of stores quickly or by the same token low on stores quickly.
I don’t have a big wasp problem where my mating apiary is located but I could see them being a problem somewhere else.
When using apideas in future I will try to get the queen into a waiting nuc as soon as she’s mated and the brood looks healthy. I wil try to avoid the supers.
I’m in no way an expert on the use of apideas though - just my limited first seasons experience
Have you experience of or might you be tempted by something like this queen rearing nuc from Thorne, or even the Abelo equivalent? Compatibility of frames is such a faff on - I bought some dirt cheap made up Smith frames (I run NAtionals) and even though they're workable, it really brought home to me how inefficient and wasteful beekeeping could easily become without compatibility everywhere possible.

In my experience, chalk brood is very much indigenous to the local unimproved bees in Ireland, sometimes to the extent that they prove unviable. It made me change my approach quite a few years ago and I don't think much has changed. It is completely absent in buckfast type bee , at least in the initial F1/F2 crossings, beyond which I don't go. I only see it when an uninvited swarm takes up residence in the occasional empty hive. I generally requeen these.
It would be very possible to produce a C/B resistant strain of Amm if the necessary resources and expertise were employed. The damp weather trope is a bit of an excuse.

As for queen rearing I do grafting using a cloke board and on to mating in mini-nucs . I much prefer these to apideas and will over winter a lot of queens in them for spring requeening. I can cycle them out 2-3 times over the season and don't have to draw resources from my production colonies. I do have about 30 apideas but rarely use them except when I have a glut of queen cells.

To each their own.;)

To each their own

Personally I would take ‘unimproved’ over Buckfast any day. To each their own

I listened to a regen-ag podcast recently where a retired citrus grower was talking about his life in the industry. His family runs one of the only organic citrus farms in Florida.
He told a story about how the industry was nearly wiped out a couple of times in the 80’s by severe frosts. Farmers that wanted to replant were encouraged to only use trees grafted onto rootstock that had been purged of all known viruses/pathogens by scientists working in the state fruit research institute.

In the meetings promoting these new rootstocks this guys father (even more experience in the citrus industry again) said to anyone that would listen that he thought these new rootstocks would only cause problems in the future. Now the whole citrus industry in Florida is battling a terrible disease called Greening. A highly infectious bacteria that kills nearly all trees within a few years. This citrus guy is convinced there’s a direct link (that and the massive amounts of chemical treatments used on the trees).

I guess what I’m trying to illustrate is that the relationship between organism health and disease threat is highly complex.

Nearly every modern industrial food system is suffering from either poor health in the organism being produced or the system of production is having a negative impact on the environment itself. Or in fact all of the above.
Beekeeping is no different.

Have you experience of or might you be tempted by something like this queen rearing nuc from Thorne, or even the Abelo equivalent? Compatibility of frames is such a faff on - I bought some dirt cheap made up Smith frames (I run NAtionals) and even though they're workable, it really brought home to me how inefficient and wasteful beekeeping could easily become without compatibility everywhere possible.
NIHBS gave our group a couple of poly queen rearing nucs but we didn’t use them. Just didn’t get around to it.
The big thing I would say is that queen rearing with Apideas is quite time intensive unless you have a big pool of people working together to share the jobs. It was hard fitting this form of queen rearing in around work, young kids etc. with the small group we had.

Apideas are used by a lot of commercial queen breeders where they have the time to work them to the tight schedule they require. For the smaller operator the like of 2-3 frame nucs or mini-plus hives offer a lot more time flexibility and are much more forgiving. Also they replicate a natural colony much more accurately having both brood and bees in all stages of development plus adequate honey and pollen stores from the off. I feel they produce a better mated queen but that's only my opinion. They are certainly easier to introduce successfully as they will be in full lay and more than 28 days old.

I think what you have told us is of value and eliminates a lot of early day learning. Experience in my book is invaluable. I wonder how many wish your venture or journey well, no answer required just a thought.. Thank you once again

Personally I would take ‘unimproved’ over Buckfast any day. To each their own

I listened to a regen-ag podcast recently where a retired citrus grower was talking about his life in the industry. His family runs one of the only organic citrus farms in Florida.
He told a story about how the industry was nearly wiped out a couple of times in the 80’s by severe frosts. Farmers that wanted to replant were encouraged to only use trees grafted onto rootstock that had been purged of all known viruses/pathogens by scientists working in the state fruit research institute.

In the meetings promoting these new rootstocks this guys father (even more experience in the citrus industry again) said to anyone that would listen that he thought these new rootstocks would only cause problems in the future. Now the whole citrus industry in Florida is battling a terrible disease called Greening. A highly infectious bacteria that kills nearly all trees within a few years. This citrus guy is convinced there’s a direct link (that and the massive amounts of chemical treatments used on the trees).

I guess what I’m trying to illustrate is that the relationship between organism health and disease threat is highly complex.

Nearly every modern industrial food system is suffering from either poor health in the organism being produced or the system of production is having a negative impact on the environment itself. Or in fact all of the above.
Beekeeping is no different.
Without being specific, it has been my observation of nature that exposed to threat it invariably finds the correct response or adaptation. Intervention is OK as long as you separate that from the natural way to allow each their course over an extended period.

It’s possible to use bigger mini nucs I’ve made some kieler type ones which are home made two of these frames side by side are the same as a national brood frame i winter small colony’s in these with out any extensions and I know a few people who winter loads stacked on top of each other.

It’s possible to use bigger mini nucs I’ve made some kieler type ones which are home made two of these frames side by side are the same as a national brood frame i winter small colony’s in these with out any extensions and I know a few people who winter loads stacked on top of each other.
Thank you for the suggestion. Definitely helps to get different insights. There will be a good bit of planning done over the winter for next season

Without being specific, it has been my observation of nature that exposed to threat it invariably finds the correct response or adaptation. Intervention is OK as long as you separate that from the natural way to allow each their course over an extended period.
I think we can see that playing out with Varroa resistance in Ireland. Although resistance is maybe the wrong term. ‘Living with successfully’ is maybe better.

The main factors allowing so many beekeepers to go treatment free here I think are.

A stable population of a single subspecies (albeit threatened).

Less movement of bees than in many countries.

Definitely less movement of genetics.

A wild population of the native subspecies.

Low hive density (this is something I only considered recently speaking to an Italian beekeeper and beekeeping scientist - he thinks potentially the density of hives in Italy and on main land Europe would never allow for natural adaptation to Varroa because the shear volume of mites in the environment is too high). I’m not sure I agree with this. I think if the four points above were achieved then adaptation to living with Varroa would occur.

Just in terms of Buckfast bees. I am quite sure a population based on the underlying genetics would develop Varroa adaptation and live successfully in the wild. But again movement of bees would have to stop and continued crossing would have to stop. Over time more of the Amm side of the cross would dominate in the genetics or more of the Ligustica - depending on the local climatic conditions.

The question would be why would you let that happen when the native subspecies still exist.

I think we can see that playing out with Varroa resistance in Ireland. Although resistance is maybe the wrong term. ‘Living with successfully’ is maybe better.

The main factors allowing so many beekeepers to go treatment free here I think are.

A stable population of a single subspecies (albeit threatened).

Less movement of bees than in many countries.

Definitely less movement of genetics.

A wild population of the native subspecies.

Low hive density (this is something I only considered recently speaking to an Italian beekeeper and beekeeping scientist - he thinks potentially the density of hives in Italy and on main land Europe would never allow for natural adaptation to Varroa because the shear volume of mites in the environment is too high). I’m not sure I agree with this. I think if the four points above were achieved then adaptation to living with Varroa would occur.

Just in terms of Buckfast bees. I am quite sure a population based on the underlying genetics would develop Varroa adaptation and live successfully in the wild. But again movement of bees would have to stop and continued crossing would have to stop. Over time more of the Amm side of the cross would dominate in the genetics or more of the Ligustica - depending on the local climatic conditions.

The question would be why would you let that happen when the native subspecies still exist.
Not every point just a couple that jump out at me, density in my area is low and the wild population probably exceeds what we might call domesticated. The drone mating areas seem key to me. Commercial bee farmers have too many pressing needs to experiment so I guess the research and development will be down to people such as yourself and hopefully supported by scientists. In the shorter term it will be people and areas allowing enough safeguarding of the native bee that will be key in the longer term. Commercial viability will determine the longer term success, there will be much resistance. I hope there are enough devoted to the long haul because it will be.

Not every point just a couple that jump out at me, density in my area is low and the wild population probably exceeds what we might call domesticated. The drone mating areas seem key to me. Commercial bee farmers have too many pressing needs to experiment so I guess the research and development will be down to people such as yourself and hopefully supported by scientists. In the shorter term it will be people and areas allowing enough safeguarding of the native bee that will be key in the longer term. Commercial viability will determine the longer term success, there will be much resistance. I hope there are enough devoted to the long haul because it will be.
There are definitely areas of the UK where there are wild living colonies that have learned to live with Varroa.

Beesnaturally has many posts talking about his own experiences with treatment free. He knows what he’s at. To a far greater degree than many on this forum that think they do.

The genetics of these bees are most likely quite mixed. Ideally beekeepers in these areas would introduce Amm colonies to their apiaries and start to move the entire population back to Amm.

I remember reading in a paper by Victoria Buswell that the genetic makeup of bees in parts of Cornwall had moved back to largely Amm in the space of time separating two sampling rounds. I guess that reflects the work of groups like B4. https://www.b4project.co.uk/

The UK just needs more groups working together like this. I’ve referenced this before but I did find Willie Robson from Chainbridge Honey saying he was looking at an Amm Queen Rearing programme very heartening.

There are definitely areas of the UK where there are wild living colonies that have learned to live with Varroa.

Beesnaturally has many posts talking about his own experiences with treatment free. He knows what he’s at. To a far greater degree than many on this forum that think they do.

The genetics of these bees are most likely quite mixed. Ideally beekeepers in these areas would introduce Amm colonies to their apiaries and start to move the entire population back to Amm.

I remember reading in a paper by Victoria Buswell that the genetic makeup of bees in parts of Cornwall had moved back to largely Amm in the space of time separating two sampling rounds. I guess that reflects the work of groups like B4. https://www.b4project.co.uk/

The UK just needs more groups working together like this. I’ve referenced this before but I did find Willie Robson from Chainbridge Honey saying he was looking at an Amm Queen Rearing programme very heartening.
Not just looking but it is in progress 🙂

I am sort of suggesting that identifying drone mating areas that have a strong amm gene presence would be helpful to expand queen production that over time would produce the ripple on the pond effect.Some analysis of feral populations in these areas and inspections of their nests regarding varroa might be quite revealing

Last edited:
To each their own.;)

I agree with this. Colonies with an elevated hygienic response, HYG, will never show any chalk. Any stocks or strains of honey bee
can be selected for HYG. It doesn't matter it they're Amm or Ligustica or Carnica or Buckfast or whatever. If you are raising queens to improve
the colonies in your apiaries, or for sale, do look into the Freeze Killed Brood assay. Once you have chosen your potential breeders, they are tested. Only those testing at the top of the list, all else being equal, should be used as breeders. That to me is the proper way of dealing with chalkbrood.
If you all are buying your queens from commercial breeders, insist they select for HYG stock.

Latest posts

Back