Amm / Native Black Bee Discussion

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
For those interested in Amm / Native Black Bees. Tell us about your bees, queen rearing groups, successes and failures.
Please feel free to post your experiences, observations, or questions regarding the above.

Last edited:
Uniting and introducing this years queens that were transferred from mini nucs to 6 frame nucs three weeks ago lovely genetics and calm gentle bees .
I’ve reared just over 70 queens this year but have only kept 40 queens mated , quite a few didn’t make the grade.
View attachment 37359View attachment 37360View attachment 37361
I've always thought the very easiest way to keep quality really high in queen rearing is to ruthlessly cull anything slightly sub optimal at every stage of the process, well done cgf!

On a slightly different track... who would you go to for am AMM nuc?

I'm in Suffolk and would like as local as possible but if I have to go further I'm happy to travel to collect.

Thank you

I've always thought the very easiest way to keep quality really high in queen rearing is to ruthlessly cull anything slightly sub optimal at every stage of the process, well done cgf!
I have one of your queens, she’s 2 years old now and they are constantly packing out two brood boxes, beautifully behaved as well and good producers. Never tried to swarm. I’ve bred from her this year!

This is a queen I raised in 2021 from a long line of our own local queens. I'm particularly proud of this one, she has a gorgeous brood pattern and builds out a strong nest. In her third season this year, I moved her to a nuc in May and raised some of her daughters. If I'm honest, I left her a bit light on resources but she soon needed a hive. When I cleared the supers I had bees hanging out of the entrance and up the front of the hive for days so on Monday 4th Sept, I popped the crown board for a look and added another brood box dummied to seven frames. I went to vape the bees on Wednesday 6th and found those frames drawn and filling with nectar. Not so many bees on the front but the entrance was still active.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/k8yhj0q7gkfu0b8n4345n/6-9-23.mp4?rlkey=71ewq3e3iz2lhqc21ofoszrb4&dl=0

Attachments

• 21-LF-11 and pattern.jpg
    21-LF-11 and pattern.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 1
Hi.
I have Black Bees (AMM) and a few Hives with a slight Mongrel % (mixed with AMM.)
To date they have been fantastic Bees to have here in the Scottish Borders.
I'm very lucky to have the well known "Chain Honey" Bee Farm near by. OK approximately about x25 Miles due South/East of me.
I am just North of the English Border. And these guys are not far from Berwick-upon-Tweed.
I highly recommend anybody interested in AMM to take a trip to Chain Bridge. Listening to 'Willie Robson' talk to our Bee Assc was fascinating. And visiting his Honey Farm was something else.

I've Pre-Ordered some Black Bee Queens [AMM] from a Breeder in Northumberland : a bit further South than Chain Bridge.
(Chain Bridge I think is more of a Commercial Beekeeping Company that I'm not sure can help the Amateur Beek with Queens etc ?)
Anyhow. . . Sure someone on this Forum will know for sure. 👀

I've decided I want to up my Black Bee % by 'Buying in some BB Queen's come June '24. . .
To date I have found these Bees and their associated Colinies are amazing, good workers and, as "Hard as Nails." 😄
OK, through buying Hives locally, you get a bit of 'Mongrel Genes' amongst them. But they bring in the Honey, survive Winter well. (So far so good in x3 Years of having them.) Did lose a Colony back in November. But that was a Hive for Sale, aka Equipment, and you got the Bees 'in them.' Unknown source being a lured in "Swarm."
Colony was doing fine but I guess the Queen 'failed'? Hive is full of Stores. Dealt with and kept safe.
Will do another full Hive Cleansing and Sterilisation come Spring.
And introduce one of my over Wintered Nuc Colonies of Black Bees.
Maybe this time next Year I will have had some more pure Genetics to call upon, off these Breeder Queens. And can increase by Black Bee levels generally.

As a starting Beek, in a City, near a huge Botanical Gardens across the Road. Buckfast Bees where thought the way to go. Everybody suggested these, and these alone.
That was in the 1980's (prior to the V.M being in the UK.)
Now decades later. And in a Rural region of the Scottish Borders, I decided to go with Black Bees.
Todate it has been a wise choice.
Hear occasionally via the local Bee Club, those starting out with Buckfast Bees then start to have issues. Losing Colonies or they don't thrive well. (Our locality is harsh in its environment and available Resources )
I'm sure many on this Forum have Buckfast Bees and really love them. And that they do brilliantly. But I guess you need to get Bees that suit your own location...
Best wishes to all Black Bees. 😎

I can't say I remember anyone buying queens from Willie Robson ;)
Me neither.
Was delighted to see him at Chain Bridge. I got their early. Got chatting to a very nice Person before the rest arrived to do the 'Tour'. Turned out it was 'Williie' ! 🙏
And today :
Local Bee Assc Newsletter Email :
Said he's coming to our actual Village Hall to Talk to us in person.
Love all this knowledge (of Black Bees AMM) being right at the time
I need to further my Skill Set. . . Priceless. Lucky me. . .😎

Me neither.
Was delighted to see him at Chain Bridge. I got their early. Got chatting to a very nice Person before the rest arrived to do the 'Tour'. Turned out it was 'Williie' ! 🙏
And today :
Local Bee Assc Newsletter Email :
Said he's coming to our actual Village Hall to Talk to us in person.
Love all this knowledge (of Black Bees AMM) being right at the time
I need to further my Skill Set. . . Priceless. Lucky me. . .😎
If you can get a few of your local beekeepers on board you could set up an Amm queen rearing group. Helps to have a few of you working on the same page and makes it all that bit more fun!

She's from a caught swarm, and is my best queen. Lays like a trooper and her workers are like little terminators - always out and about, until it gets below 5C. Feels like hive weight has increased over the winter, and I doubt she's stopped laying.
Has a red marking, but originally had a faint yellow mark on her, so will be 2 this year.
Had a new queen from her eggs last year, which has the same high-laying, hardworking characteristics. So, looking to breed more from her as soon as I can.

I wonder what % AMM she is.

Attachments

• IMG-20230827-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20230827-WA0004.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 1
Noticed it Saturday and did a double take, it was lashing down at the time. Thankfully two days of ten degree sunshine for some small benefit before things go downhill again.

Latest posts

Back