agressive bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markfitz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi all can over smoking and not washing the stings out of the bee suit regularly cause the bees to be aggressive on inspections thanks

Yes and no, bee sting pheromones are gone after 24 hours, depends what you call over smoking and fuel used will also contribute to the bees behaviour

mark - as Redwood says, the venom pheromone dissipates.... you probably over-smoked because they were aggressive in the first place.

However, suggest you rinse out your suit and leave them alone for a week. Next time you inspect wait 3 minutes after smoking before opening (add a couple of puffs underneath to drift up through the V. floor). Try to be very gentle when levering off the crown board and removing frames.....imagine you're not wearing gloves!

If they are STILL aggressive, you may have to consider re-queening for a gentler strain.

rich

thanks for the replys, I use paper from some old novel books which im sure isn't harmful to the bees, its one of my three hives in particular which I might try and requeen.

thanks for the replys, I use paper from some old novel books which im sure isn't harmful to the bees, its one of my three hives in particular which I might try and requeen.

one way of getting rid of those awful beekeeping books. ;)

On the subject of aggressive bees, anyone see the programme about Honey Badgers? It showed a beekeeper climbing a purpose built frame to inspect his hives. Talk about defensive, lol, his veil was black and there was a cloud of bees all around him.

On the subject of aggressive bees, anyone see the programme about Honey Badgers? It showed a beekeeper climbing a purpose built frame to inspect his hives. Talk about defensive, lol, his veil was black and there was a cloud of bees all around him.

Not nice at all a good doc

Back