New hive/swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogs1

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
New beekeeper here.

I was given a empty hive (national)
The super had new foundation sheets put in and the super had fresh drawn out comb on all the frames.

I caught a swarm at the end of may and put them in the hive, i let them have the brood and the super, been checking them regularly but not much improvement and i cannot find the queen and they are quite agressive!

Today after an inspection i noticed quite a few more bees and not as hostile, they are filling the supers nicely and started to draw out the sheets in the brood box.

Ive inserted some pictures of a few frames in the super.

Can anyone tell me if everything is ok on these frames?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_161551.jpg
    IMG_20230623_161551.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230623_161715.jpg
    IMG_20230623_161715.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230623_161752.jpg
    IMG_20230623_161752.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
I presume you have no queen excluder on?
Look like you have a mated queen laying worker brood in the super with an arc of food over it. So it’s great.
What I would have done is put them into the brood box of foundation which they would have drawn and left the super off.

That is correct, this is my 3rd swarm i caught, 1st two i did as you said and put them in the brood box, but for some reason they absconded! Was told that it was due to no drawn out comb, so i gave these a super (brood and a half i think its called) i hope that im on the right track.

Thanks for the quick response much appreciated

Yes. Swarms abscond for a few reasons but no drawn comb is not one of them.
Swarms draw comb at a frantic rate and it seems a great thing to take advantage of. No drone cells either.

Ye thats the plan, now im happy that shes laying etc i wont bother her too much. Is there anyway i can get them a bit more docile?

also i just bought a nuc and transfered them into another hive they are much friendlier so hopefully they will get on ok

I'm afraid that whoever told you that didn't know what they were talking about.
Any reason why they absconded? The 2 swarms i lost were nice and quiet could handle them without a suit, i put a feeder in for them to try and keep them but to no avail

Swarms are pretty good at tanking up on a free feed then leaving to try somewhere else.
Swarms shouldn’t be fed unless there is no nectar available and then only after three days or so.

Is there anyway i can get them a bit more docile?
They might just be horrid little black bees. They are the sort that I usually attract in my bait hives. Husband likes the challenge … mad man. When they get too bad I usually re queen them.

They might just be horrid little black bees. They are the sort that I usually attract in my bait hives. Husband likes the challenge … mad man. When they get too bad I usually re queen them.
Horrible black bees , we’re is the brigade when you want them?

Not true
I’ve said many times that I have black bees. I have two of Ceri’s.
Ok apologies.
I have a few of ceri’s as well .
Interesting I have one or two third generation from his queens and they have kept there gentleness and also workers are still all black .
What I find interesting is sister colony’s that haven’t kept there blackness .

Latest posts

Back