A friend's blue tit box has been colonised by bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YorksBill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I'm new to posting stuff and am not a practising beekeeper, so excuse me if I'm not clear on protocols or jargon. Just had a 'phone call from a friend locally (Huddersfield) to say her blue tit nest box appears to contain bees who have modified the hole to make it suitable for bees and not birds, (so maybe they plan to stay?). She wants to know (and so do I) if this is likely to be a viable living arrangement for the bees; and if she can/should assist them (if so how) or if she should get a beekeeper to move them to a more sustainable form of housing if (for example) people who know about these things think that would be a good idea for the bees.

Hoping that's clear. Any advice welcome. Bill

Are you sure they are honey bees?
Bumble bees usually use bird boxes.

sounds like the birdbox I moved on friday night!
Bombus hypnorum ( tree bee) a relatively new type of bumble in the UK ( 2001 first sighting)
see the bumblebee conservation trust website for details / how to record the nest/ advice.
rgds, Tony

agree with Veg

it is more likely to be a bumble bee as they like bluetit and mouse nests and it is ideal size for them, just tell her to watch in awe, they may return next year as well, though i expect the nest will be destroyed by wax moth

honey bees are kept by beekeepers in boxes about 10x18x18 inches or larger

Last edited:
I have buff tailed bumbles in a nest box. It had a camera in it last year but I removed it as the house is for sale. Pity, it would have been nice to watch.

It's very common for bumble bees to take over a tit box, ideal size for them ,
they will be a summer resident and will disappear in Autumn ;)
Tell her to watch their comings and goings and to take note of how the sizes of individual bees vary over the season culminating in big furry new queens in late Summer :coolgleamA:.

John Wilkinson

If they are bumblebees, best advice is to leave them well alone and let them get on with it. Maybe put up a new box for the bluetits.

If they are bumblebees, best advice is to leave them well alone and let them get on with it. Maybe put up a new box for the bluetits.

I had a call out that was bumblebees in a nest box- when I got there there was such a flurry of bees coming and going, I wondered for a minute if it was honey bees! No such luck though.

Thank you all for great advice.

I'll pass the tips on immediately. Not seen the creatures myself yet but looking forward to seeing them later this week. Tony - I'll certainly go to the bumblebee conservation trust website. Thanks again. Bill

sounds like the birdbox I moved on friday night!
Bombus hypnorum ( tree bee) a relatively new type of bumble in the UK ( 2001 first sighting)
see the bumblebee conservation trust website for details / how to record the nest/ advice.
rgds, Tony

agree with Veg

it is more likely to be a bumble bee as they like bluetit and mouse nests and it is ideal size for them, just tell her to watch in awe, they may return next year as well, though i expect the nest will be destroyed by wax moth

honey bees are kept by beekeepers in boxes about 10x18x18 inches or larger

I have buff tailed bumbles in a nest box. It had a camera in it last year but I removed it as the house is for sale. Pity, it would have been nice to watch.

It's very common for bumble bees to take over a tit box, ideal size for them ,
they will be a summer resident and will disappear in Autumn ;)
Tell her to watch their comings and goings and to take note of how the sizes of individual bees vary over the season culminating in big furry new queens in late Summer :coolgleamA:.

John Wilkinson

I had a call out that was bumblebees in a nest box- when I got there there was such a flurry of bees coming and going, I wondered for a minute if it was honey bees! No such luck though.

Some bumblebees have moved into a friends attic recently, living under the glass fibre insulation and entering through a small hole alongside the telephone cable.

I went into the loft, caught one took a photo - it is a Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum).

tree_bumblebee.JPG

From the bedroom below the attic I can hear what sounds like a queen piping. The piping noise is what drew my friend's attention to the colony in the first place because it kept him awake last night. Do you think that the queen will stop piping - if not I may get the job of moving them into a nestbox on the outside of the wall.

Neil

Latest posts

Back