7 Beehives Stolen Llandudno

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be in a Wars of the Roses reenactment group.
I have bows and arrows, a crossbow, a variety of swords, some real and edged.
A complete suit of armour, spears, a mace and a morning star.
No one gets in unless I let them !
I'd recommend you add a large shovel and a bag of quick lime to your inventory, just in case, you understand :)

• Haha
Reactions: mbc
Toxophily is a great hobby.

I used to do a lot when I was at university. We had one of the British women's archery team in the club (I think she went on to take part in the Seoul and Barcelona Olympics) which always made competitions interesting given that in those days no-one knew anything about anyone and didn't expect a student to be quite that good :D

I taught my girlfriend at the time to shoot and she is still involved in the sport as a GNAS judge as far as I'm aware.

I gave up not long after leaving uni, in part because the only local clubs I could find at the time were almost entirely made up of people at least twice my age. I still have all my kit and sometimes I'm tempted to give it a go again. Need some new strings first though. Not sure I fancy shooting with a 35 year old string, even if it is brand new out of the packet.

James

Beware Hive Thefts North Wales.

We have had 7 double National and camouflage netting and super equipment stolen from our out Apiary in Llandudno over the weekend of the 2nd / 3rd of March they have gained access to the field and drove across the field to our site to remove these hives,

This is the 2nd theft in the area in recent weeks,

Thanks

Les
This is really sad. We have had that problem here, but it has quieted down recently. If thieves are caught with apiary products, both owners and people in the community are not very forgiving. I will leave it at that!

I have a solar powered camera with SIM card in trained on my out apiary.
It has "ai human detection" so if something resembling a human comes into frame I get an alert on my phone and I can view live as well as activate a siren.
They're available on eBay and the like. £100 well spent.
Will you post a link to the eBay website page please.

I still have all my kit and sometimes I'm tempted to give it a go again. Need some new strings first though. Not sure I fancy shooting with a 35 year old string, even if it is brand new out of the packet.
Of all the folk on this forum James, I would say that you are the one person who really does have more than one string to your bow!!

This is really sad. We have had that problem here, but it has quieted down recently. If thieves are caught with apiary products, both owners and people in the community are not very forgiving. I will leave it at that!
No need to be so reticent LG. We'd all benefit from hearing in detail how you deal with hive robbers:smash:

Beware Hive Thefts North Wales.

We have had 7 double National and camouflage netting and super equipment stolen from our out Apiary in Llandudno over the weekend of the 2nd / 3rd of March they have gained access to the field and drove across the field to our site to remove these hives,

This is the 2nd theft in the area in recent weeks,

Thanks

Les
Didn’t the police investigate the tyre tracks to try to identify the type of vehicle used??

I used to do a lot when I was at university. We had one of the British women's archery team in the club (I think she went on to take part in the Seoul and Barcelona Olympics) which always made competitions interesting given that in those days no-one knew anything about anyone and didn't expect a student to be quite that good :D

I taught my girlfriend at the time to shoot and she is still involved in the sport as a GNAS judge as far as I'm aware.

I gave up not long after leaving uni, in part because the only local clubs I could find at the time were almost entirely made up of people at least twice my age. I still have all my kit and sometimes I'm tempted to give it a go again. Need some new strings first though. Not sure I fancy shooting with a 35 year old string, even if it is brand new out of the packet.

James
Was Dacron the usual material for strings 35 years ago? I find there's quite a popular approach to purchasing archery equipment insofar as people compete to pay more for a bow or arrows than their neighbour did regardless of the results out on the range. Me - I have cheap(ish) gear but I still hit the target.

Was Dacron the usual material for strings 35 years ago? I find there's quite a popular approach to purchasing archery equipment insofar as people compete to pay more for a bow or arrows than their neighbour did regardless of the results out on the range. Me - I have cheap(ish) gear but I still hit the target.

Dacron was most common as far as I recall, but some people used some stuff called Fast Flight I believe, and others kevlar. You needed carbon fibre composite bow limbs for kevlar though, because the lack of "stretch" in the string put much greater forces on them as the bow string stopped moving.

James

Didn’t the police investigate the tyre tracks to try to identify the type of vehicle used??
Re the Glanwydden hive theft, North Wales Police say that a quad bike and trailer was used
(I am secretary of Conwy Beekeepers. Both beekeepers affected are members).

Latest posts

Back