7 Beehives Stolen Llandudno

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely agree. I have my bees fairly well tucked away but paint them dark brown - not the seemingly fashionable bright colours which are I feel far too visible. I also put my name and phone number inside the brood boxes and supers with permanent marker, Probably won't deter the determined thief but perhaps will provide a surprise when they open up or try to sell on. I wonder if Google Earth satellite contributes to spotting apiaries?
My hives are well tucked away. Mid to dark brown with postcode burned into the outside of each part . Hopefully, as there are only two hives, and landlord limits me to a maximum of four it will not be worthwhile for the dishonest. How disgusting to have criminals who misuse their knowledge of our wonderful beekeeping.

I wonder there's a regional variation in these crimes? I've not heard of rustling in Suffolk but I remember posting a pic of my honey sales box a few years ago whereupon JBM replied saying, in his neck of the woods, not only the honey but the boxes, poles and drainpipe through the hedge would disappear!
4CF11B72-7B4F-4C18-A151-6A9491B1C122.jpeg

Is it really though? . A few hives nicked here and there?
:iagree:
No more - if not less, than I've heard reported year upon year, but it's an excuse to clutch at pearls other than the flavour of the month at the moment - Velutina

The problem with marking equipment is new hives are so easy to come by that any thief worth their salt will swap out the equipment as a matter of course to all new woodwork, even new frames if necessary. Then there's nothing to identify your bees from the lots of other hives available this time of year, that also gets rid of trackers.

All you can do, if not stolen to order is investigate anyone who is not a known keeper suddenly having hives of bees to sell. Look on local Facebook, Patrick Laslett etc.

I have a solar powered camera with SIM card in trained on my out apiary.
It has "ai human detection" so if something resembling a human comes into frame I get an alert on my phone and I can view live as well as activate a siren.
They're available on eBay and the like. £100 well spent.

if something resembling a human comes into frame I get an alert on my phone and I can view live as well as activate a siren.
it wouldn't get triggered very often around here then

I am mortally afraid of thieves. They go equipped with no compunction about causing personal injuries to avoid getting caught.

I am suitably equipped with an old cricket bat to defend my person. And my family.
I used to be in a Wars of the Roses reenactment group.
I have bows and arrows, a crossbow, a variety of swords, some real and edged.
A complete suit of armour, spears, a mace and a morning star.
No one gets in unless I let them !

I wonder there's a regional variation in these crimes? I've not heard of rustling in Suffolk but I remember posting a pic of my honey sales box a few years ago whereupon JBM replied saying, in his neck of the woods, not only the honey but the boxes, poles and drainpipe through the hedge would disappear!
View attachment 39164
I had hives stolen and vandalised last year near Ipswich, Suffolk. Another beekeeper close by had the same. So it definitely does happen in our area

Invisible ink stamps on the frames doesn't stop it but it really makes your hives less targetable.

A note on the boxes saying 'these frames are stamped with my company name in invisible ink' means they have to shake the bees onto new frames/foundation. For thieves, that's much more work compared to burning the boxes and placing the frames into fresh poly nucs for sale.

Invisible ink stamps on the frames doesn't stop it but it really makes your hives less targetable.

A note on the boxes saying 'these frames are stamped with my company name in invisible ink' means they have to shake the bees onto new frames/foundation. For thieves, that's much more work compared to burning the boxes and placing the frames into fresh poly nucs for sale.
Or substantial ground anchors and Heras fencing with a big chain and really big padlock - anything that makes it time consuming or difficult for thieves to get at or move the hives. It never fails to surprise me that out apiaries are so poorly protected by beekeepers - what's a colony of bees in a decent hive worth £350 + the loss of a honey crop ? Say £500 .... 5 or 6 hives £3000 in total.

Would you leave something of that value in a location where they can be seen and accessed if it wasn't beehives ?

Give the thieves a visible deterrent and with any luck (for you at least) they will look for somewhere else where it's a bit easier.

A good idea for a YouTube piece. How to protect your hives.

Back