5 Years ago Today Up Northumberland.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
I took these pictures 5 years ago on the 7th of December 4 wk's it lasted and it was not even forecast.:rolleyes:

IMG_3043_zpskvas0ypg.jpg

IMG_3118_zps434f8425.jpg

IMG_3122_zps5tii90dg.jpg

IMG_3142_zpsazwy2msv.jpg

IMG_3174_zpsfyibaewk.jpg

Nice example of vernacular stone masonry. Spare a thought for those who quarried, banked and laid those stones. There seems to have been two distinct periods of building, do you know much of the buildings history?

I don't know the history of the first building but my lady friend lived in the last one for 8yr's it is over 100yrs old and very dark damp and cold inside, when getting clothes from the wardrobe in winter they had to be aired in front of the coal fire before they could be worn, one of the reasons she no longer lives there.

I hope this isn't off topic, but that dump of snow fell the night before we moved in to our new house. It is down a steep country lane. I remember digging the lane out (100m or so) by myself and one of the neighbours came over for a chat. "oh you will love it round here, a very close community, everyone helps each other" says he with his hands in his pocket. "I doubt you will be able to get this lane cleared though" he continued. An hour and a half later with no help from my new neighbours I finished and as I was walking down the hill two of them drove up the newly cleared path. I must admit I thought it was funny even at the time. two days in a row I cleared that lane!!!

I hope this isn't off topic, but that dump of snow fell the night before we moved in to our new house. It is down a steep country lane. I remember digging the lane out (100m or so) by myselfand one of the neighbours came over for a chat. "oh you will love it round here, a very close community, everyone helps each other" says he with his hands in his pocket. "I doubt you will be able to get this lane cleared though" he continued. An hour and a half later with no help from my new neighbours I finished and as I was walking down the hill two of them drove up the newly cleared path. I must admit I thought it was funny even at the time. two days in a row I cleared that lane!!!
Don't worry about that, its a free for all on here lol , the helpful neighbour did make me laugh he should have just kept quiet and let you get on with it.. haha

, the helpful neighbour did make me laugh he should have just kept quiet and let you get on with it.. haha
My neighbour and i would usually go out and clear the snow off the road in front of Brynmair - it's a pretty steep hill with a 90 degree bend top and bottom and it's pointless putting rocksalt down until it's cleared as the multitudes trying to drive up the hill just polish the snow until it's like glass.
Someone walked past me once, on his way to try and salvaged his car which, as he had failed to make the hill he'd just left in everybody's way at the bottom.
He looked at me and asked "why are you killing yourself there for the benefit of everyone else, noone's going to thank you for it?" I think my reply of "I'm doing it for my own benefit as I'm fed up of sitting in the study watching brainless nobwits making a total hash of tackling a straightforward hill climb" upset him rather :D

My neighbour and i would usually go out and clear the snow off the road in front of Brynmair - it's a pretty steep hill with a 90 degree bend top and bottom and it's pointless putting rocksalt down until it's cleared as the multitudes trying to drive up the hill just polish the snow until it's like glass.
Someone walked past me once, on his way to try and salvaged his car which, as he had failed to make the hill he'd just left in everybody's way at the bottom.
He looked at me and asked "why are you killing yourself there for the benefit of everyone else, noone's going to thank you for it?" I think my reply of "I'm doing it for my own benefit as I'm fed up of sitting in the study watching brainless nobwits making a total hash of tackling a straightforward hill climb" upset him rather :D
You should have cracked him in the back of the head with a snowball when he walked off. lol

jenkinsbrynmair;513030[INDENT said:
[/INDENT]" I think my reply of "I'm doing it for my own benefit as I'm fed up of sitting in the study watching brainless nobwits making a total hash of tackling a straightforward hill climb" upset him rather :D

Your usual well tempered and moderate response then ?:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Co. Durham today

Attachments

• 20151212_143854.jpg
    20151212_143854.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 30
17th December in sunny south Wales that year; the morning after a very still night...

Attachments

• DSCF3269.jpg
    DSCF3269.jpg
    584.9 KB · Views: 12
Looked at my colonies today . All seven in one Apiary chrging in and out in 12 degrees and sunshine. Odd ones returning with decent amounts pollen, one laden down with full sacs of Bright Orange Pollen !

We have on south Finland -5 to +5C temps, and in Lapland -25C. In North there are half metre snow. Ski centres are open.

My hives have been 2 months in cluster. Forecast to weekend is +8C.
Next night will be -5C.

Last edited:
We have on south Finland -5 to +5C temps, and in Lapland -25C. In North there are half metre snow. Ski centres are open.

My hives have been 2 months in cluster. Forecast to weekend is +8C.
Next night will be -5C.

Lets hope it stays like that for Santa, :sorry:

Latest posts

Back