You’ve got to be kidding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's one thing to buy a beehive on a whim and get it home and another when it comes to actually getting the bees and I'm fairly sure that nobody thinks you just set up a hive (how and where) and expect bees just to fly in and make your honey for breakfast. Or am I wrong in thinking this? Remember one of the first things Joe Public tends to ask is "Do you get stung"? so there is that as something that they may consider.
Some people think you can start a colony with just a queen. @Newbeeneil isn't the only one who's experienced this, some queen suppliers now have disclaimers on their websites about it.

Some people think you can start a colony with just a queen. @Newbeeneil isn't the only one who's experienced this, some queen suppliers now have disclaimers on their websites about it.
Seen it happen twice including 1 guy who rang thornes whilst I was in the local branch to complain they had failed😂

I wonder what the minimum number of bees to accompany a queen is to generate a viable colony?
Not that many from Dani's picture of a tiny swarm!

Reactions: Kaz
one of my neighbours reported me last year for putting a queen in a hive to atract a swarm .then she said i
let them out to swarm nowing she had deadly allergies to bee stings .all this why she was standing in the middle of the swarm .
not even my bees and nothing to do with me.as dont keep them at home ..but it was my fault as a bee keeper...wish some would look things up ...
the swarm was just passing by...

one of my neighbours reported me last year for putting a queen in a hive to atract a swarm .then she said i
let them out to swarm nowing she had deadly allergies to bee stings .all this why she was standing in the middle of the swarm .
not even my bees and nothing to do with me.as dont keep them at home ..but it was my fault as a bee keeper...wish some would look things up ...
the swarm was just passing by...
Excellent!
Now any complaints she makes will be taken less seriously!
Always look on the bright side of life (as they sang in The Life of Brian)!

I know, but what I'm predicting is the bored people who traipse around shops at the weekend after they've washed the car and mown the lawn will see this and think it's a great idea.
It's a whole heap of trouble waiting for them,B&q and established beekeeping.
It's sold by a Marketplace seller on the website only. B&Q don't own the stock, so I can't ever see them being on the shelves in store.

I've had a few people ask me tentatively about keeping bees over the last couple of years. I have successfully dissuaded them all because I knew it was more work than they wanted.

I too have grown one Apidea with approx 300 bees to a full size hive. Takes two seasons unless very lucky with weather.
Not worth the work. You usually have to feed over winter.

It's one thing to buy a beehive on a whim and get it home and another when it comes to actually getting the bees and I'm fairly sure that nobody thinks you just set up a hive (how and where) and expect bees just to fly in and make your honey for breakfast. Or am I wrong in thinking this? Remember one of the first things Joe Public tends to ask is "Do you get stung"? so there is that as something that they may consider.
I met someone who became a bee keeper when a swarm landed in their garden and they put it in a box. They had only had it a couple of days when they answered an ad I'd posted for a nuc box. They did join the local bee club, but only saw them there once. Have wondered a few times how they got on.

Back