Where the entrance should be

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, in the hottest parts of summer they very much try to cool the hive, by fanning wings etc, and bearding if needed.

If I had wooden hives, and your setup, I would take the side insulation off for summer, but leave the roof insulation.
I agree, insulation above the crown board does help to cool hive down also in summer, last summer someone I know recorded 50c/55c above a cb without insulation with insulation 40c so it works both ways.
Q. Will the girls collect water to help humidity / temp control?

Tells rather well how keepers influence the hive design. Thought it a little mean not to mention that Langstroth's hive started out as double wall hive; Langstroth even predicted that Americans would make it into a single skin one.

Tells rather well how keepers influence the hive design. Thought it a little mean not to mention that Langstroth's hive started out as double wall hive; Langstroth even predicted that Americans would make it into a single skin one.
From what I've read, wasn't he also super keen on top ventilation?

I look the need of ventilation from the number of ventilating bees on the entrance.

I have in every box a entrance hole and I know how many holes I keep open in summer or in winter. It does not need much brain.

Latest posts

Back