(Other) flying insects

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Living in what is very much a rural farming area with plenty of livestock grazing in the fields, flies and other flying insects are something we've just had to learn to live with over the Summer. We try to avoid getting lots of them in the house, but it's pretty much impossible. So far this year however, we've had pretty much none. I've not even got as far as putting new batteries in the "fly bat". I spoke to a friend who lives a couple of miles away and he said that during the summer they end up with loads of sticky fly paper strips decorating their house, but this year they haven't needed any. I can't recall that I've seen a single wasp since the queens emerged in Spring either, and perhaps only one or two hornets. I was told that a very successful year for wasps was being predicted some months back, but that certainly doesn't seem to be the case based on my observations.

Has anyone else noticed this?

James

lots of flys at the apiary’s mainly at the edge of woodland here but no more than usual.
More wasps around though for this time of year and I’ve counted a fair few wasp nests that are the size of a smallish Mellon .
No plans to do anything to them .
The time to kill wasps is when you see queens in the early spring not really when they have a nest unless for obvious reasons.

Since tge field that surrounds us was moved over from grazing to silage we get few flies. In our fields where the bees are klegs seem to find me without problem. The polytunnel attracts lots of meadow browns.

We are thousands of km away from you, but also little wasps seen, even flies not too many.. Hornets I actively worked to reduce around apiaries and now are also in low numbers around hives..
On the other side a lot of klegs emerged and aphids are increasing..

Living in what is very much a rural farming area with plenty of livestock grazing in the fields, flies and other flying insects are something we've just had to learn to live with over the Summer. We try to avoid getting lots of them in the house, but it's pretty much impossible. So far this year however, we've had pretty much none. I've not even got as far as putting new batteries in the "fly bat". I spoke to a friend who lives a couple of miles away and he said that during the summer they end up with loads of sticky fly paper strips decorating their house, but this year they haven't needed any. I can't recall that I've seen a single wasp since the queens emerged in Spring either, and perhaps only one or two hornets. I was told that a very successful year for wasps was being predicted some months back, but that certainly doesn't seem to be the case based on my observations.

Has anyone else noticed this?

James
Got wasps starting to lurk around one apiary already. Other flies, hard to say. Definitely fewer butterflies.

seen quite a few wasps in the last few days, so don't get excited. Also seen loads more hornets this year - which is nice. Loads of butterflies at the Tŷ Uchaf apiary, but then she has forty plus acres of untouched wildflower meadows there.
Someone reported they'd seen the first marsh fritilaries in the gwaun just over the road last week

Saw my first wasp today when we sat for a picnic on a walk.

Seeing loads of butterflies, moths, beetles and flies in the 25-acre orchard where the wild flowers dominate the grass. Now you mention it, I haven't seen any wasps (except the queens that I 'removed' in the spring).

Last edited:
Quite a lot of flies coming into the house here, as normal. Little wonder with the amount of muck spreading that goes on! After seeing lots of queen wasps in the Spring, very few workers about yet. Horse flies and klegs not about yet, but they’re normally pests for July /August around here. More hornets than last year and lots of brown butterflies around, especially on bramble, but very few others thus far. LOTS of clothes moths this year.

Latest posts

Back