You’ve got to be kidding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d have thought they may have actually assembled it for the picture and not just pushed joints together😂

They also do Nationals too and hive parts.

www.diy.com/departments/easibee-national-cedar-bee-hive/5060164211754_BQ.prd

It got three stars and the following review:

Chinese Import?​

12 days ago
I have one Easibee hive. Cedar is jointed planks and the hive's joints are smaller than the standard National Hive's joints available from UK suppliers. Ideal for a beginner combined with a good beekeeping course and the Haynes Bee Manual. If the queen excluder is bamboo then replace it after a year as you cannot scirch it clean.

This is the same one as on the Easibee.co.uk website and the same price.

Last edited:
Just looked at the B&Q site, and an 'Easibee National Bee Hive Stand' is more expensive than the same (ok maybe very similar) version from a company in Lincolnshire.

I know, but what I'm predicting is the bored people who traipse around shops at the weekend after they've washed the car and mown the lawn will see this and think it's a great idea.
It's a whole heap of trouble waiting for them,B&q and established beekeeping.
Well, they will either give up or post here so that we can keep them straight

I know, but what I'm predicting is the bored people who traipse around shops at the weekend after they've washed the car and mown the lawn will see this and think it's a great idea.
It's a whole heap of trouble waiting for them,B&q and established beekeepin
Oh I see.

Yes, and the neighbours of the people who think it’s a good idea, with no knowledge and put the hive in the back garden 😳 It’s difficult as it’s always good to have more people selling a thing to provide choice and a fair price, and if it gets people involved who turn out to be responsible bee keepers then great but you’re right, it might make some people think it’s easy and cheap ish and get them into trouble. It would be good if the sales info said that bee keeping needs preparation and commitment and that bees can sting and need looking after not just something to buy like a shed or a curtain rail.

Whilst going round a garden on the "open garden scheme" yesterday I got into a conversation with a couple about bee keeping.
The wife said her husband had looked into beekeeping as a future retirement hobby but it was the cost of set up that put him off (not the commitment and the time required to look after livestock - never considered that)
If bee hives are going to be sat on the side of aisles near the B&Q check outs I can see them being purchased like sweets in a supermarket for bored kids who pester their parents! 😱

Sold as complete hive but no frames and foundation. Someone's going to just plonk bees in there and get wild comb.

Are they selling suits too?

Sold as complete hive but no frames and foundation. Someone's going to just plonk bees in there and get wild comb.

Are they selling suits too?
They will probably get used by wasps and spiders, or for compost. Why would a bee go into a beehive that had never been used as one? They would just abscond I would think

Reactions: jim
They will probably get used by wasps and spiders, or for compost. Why would a bee go into a beehive that had never been used as one? They would just abscond I would think
The same reason they go into any tree..facia..wall..compost bin..bird box…letter box…it’s a cavity!! Albeit you’ll increase your chances 100 fold putting some wax in😂
It would be good if the sales info said that bee keeping needs preparation and commitment and that bees can sting and need looking after not just something to buy like a shed or a curtain rail
Not really sure that effected Flow sales😉

I was thinking more of people buying a package of bees or a nuc and putting it in rather than random swarms arriving although the latter can happen, especially if they put a swarm lure in.

It's one thing to buy a beehive on a whim and get it home and another when it comes to actually getting the bees and I'm fairly sure that nobody thinks you just set up a hive (how and where) and expect bees just to fly in and make your honey for breakfast. Or am I wrong in thinking this? Remember one of the first things Joe Public tends to ask is "Do you get stung"? so there is that as something that they may consider.

It's one thing to buy a beehive on a whim and get it home and another when it comes to actually getting the bees and I'm fairly sure that nobody thinks you just set up a hive (how and where) and expect bees just to fly in and make your honey for breakfast. Or am I wrong in thinking this? Remember one of the first things Joe Public tends to ask is "Do you get stung"? so there is that as something that they may consider.
I was contacted by my county BKA to help a guy whose sons had bought him a birthday present of a hive and a queen to get him started in beekeeping!

Back