Would you believe it??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshinemedic

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Having lost a colony at the end of last season (Varroa probably), I got a nuc ordered nice and early. I get the call yesterday telling me the nuc is ready for collection and I tidy up the hive in preparation for the new arrivals.

Popped into the apiary this afternoon and found what looked like a prime swarm setting up house in the freshly prepped hive!

Hmmm. what do I do with the nuc now? lol.

Having lost a colony at the end of last season (Varroa probably), I got a nuc ordered nice and early. I get the call yesterday telling me the nuc is ready for collection and I tidy up the hive in preparation for the new arrivals.

Popped into the apiary this afternoon and found what looked like a prime swarm setting up house in the freshly prepped hive!

Exactly the same thing happened to me 5 years ago.

Make another brood box quickly..

get another hive and consider yourself a lucky bugger

You dont have to actually "do" anything with the nuc for a few days....at the very least.

You might want to treat the swarm for varroa, it may give your new nuc a better start in the same apiary?

You don't know source of the swarm.. if feral then no previous varroa treatment. Just in case any drifting, you don't want any rampant varroa spread.

I agree that now might be the best time to treat if you think it is for the best, but not just on the assumption that they will be infested and near death because they might be feral......If they were they probably wouldnt be flying around..and if they came from the bloke down the road they might already have been dosed up to the eyeballs and a second treatment might not be good for them.

Bees from different colonies visit the same flowers, and drink from the same place. Does that spread infection?

If they are feral it doesnt mean that they have always been so...This time last year they might have been in a beeks garden, and swarmed into a roof and have now left..

Latest posts

Back