What would you do?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Sorry, newbee question coming up!
White swarmy queen (3rd time this year) decided make qcs again which I found on Sundays inspection. Right that’s it! Ordered a queen which arrives today. But I’m now considering that if they have decided to go will they try even after retiring the white queen and introduction which I was planning to do this afternoon? Would it be better to make a nuc up and introduce queen to that and leave white queen in main hive with reduced brood? Not sure what to do now and new queen in postman’s hand as I write. Help! Thanks.

Thanks both. I’ll go for the direct intro I think. I’m assuming there’s going to be new qcs in there which I’ll knock down. Keep the tab closed for a day. Attendants in or out? Then release on Saturday. Fingers crossed!

If doing a direct Q swap like for like ( as in both mated) don't mess with cages , simply dunk her in honey head to foot and plop her on the tops bars . By the time they have cleaned her up they wil have accepted her.
Also fascinating to watch if you have a spare 10 -15 mins.

If the colony are set on swarming then one may not prevent it, an A/S may be better until they settle down then a unite if not wanting the extra colony.

Latest posts

Back