Expected weight of 5 frame Nuc when buying bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And if the nuc was that weak when you got it, why did your president still put them into a cavernous full size hive? especially at this time of year it's an invitation for robbers

One of my hobby horses as a declared cynic but holding an office in an association can often indicate no-one else wants the job or occasionally someone who likes a badge to wear 😟

I do appreciate the efforts of the good guys or girls willing to put their head above the parapet

And if the nuc was that weak when you got it, why did your president still put them into a cavernous full size hive? especially at this time of year it's an invitation for robbers
The bees were robbed out of the Nuc, the rest os the nucs were an acceptable weight and are doing well.

I've been reading this thread with interest in that it presents a non-issue. There are too many variables to be able to use weight as a guide. The NBU publish a useful guide as to what to expect when buying a nuc:
"As a guide a good nucleus will:
Have a good quality, young laying queen. She may be marked and/or clipped. Have all stages of bee brood present.
Be free of signs of disease.
Have at least three frames with brood.
Have four frames or more fully covered with honey bees.
Have the equivalent of at least one full comb of honey and half a frame of pollen as stores. All combs should be in a good and clean condition, preferably being less than one
season old."
See https://www.nationalbeeunit.com/ass...taining_bees_healthy_comb_pic_v5_Layout_1.pdf

I've been reading this thread with interest in that it presents a non-issue. There are too many variables to be able to use weight as a guide. The NBU publish a useful guide as to what to expect when buying a nuc:
"As a guide a good nucleus will:
Have a good quality, young laying queen. She may be marked and/or clipped. Have all stages of bee brood present.
Be free of signs of disease.
Have at least three frames with brood.
Have four frames or more fully covered with honey bees.
Have the equivalent of at least one full comb of honey and half a frame of pollen as stores. All combs should be in a good and clean condition, preferably being less than one
season old."
See https://www.nationalbeeunit.com/ass...taining_bees_healthy_comb_pic_v5_Layout_1.pdf
Rather agree and they had been with the new owner a number of weeks, I did ask if they had been inspected in this period.

with the new owner a number of weeks ... had been inspected in this period
The time to make a complaint about the size or makeup of the nuc was directly after receiving it.

Was this done, Elizabeth, or did you accept delivery, put it in a hive, leave it awhile and complain after it was demolished?

Latest posts

Back