Winter Losses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What percentage of your colonies have you lost over winter ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was surprised to go enter spring with all seven colonies I entered winter with. I had expected some losses as many beeks I have spoken to have had high losses this winter.

Yesterday I opened a hive burgeoning with bees to make sure it didn't need more space. I was surprised to find it's a drone layer. This is a loss I assume?

I’ve got exactly 10% so do I put my tick in the first or second section??????

Well I ticked none, but as yet I have still to actually inspect any of them, wind, weather and temps to 'iffy' at the moment up here. A couple of days at 12 degrees isn't spring, maybe it is down on the costa del Fareham ;) I have checked stores and slid some fondant on one of them and all were live and kicking then, so🤞

I assume Plytec lost his only hive since he has none now!

For the next poll go to a system of nine or eleven ranks. This avoids the exact % in most cases.

How would these losses be collated?
It would be useful to see percentage loses. Mine are exactly ten percent; one colony lost out of ten.

% for nine ranges.
0-11.1%-22.2%-33.3%-44.4% -55.5%-66.6%-77.7%-88.8%-100%
% for eleven ranges.
0-9.1%-18.2%-27.3%-36.4%-
45.5%-54.5%-63.6%-72.7%-
81.8%-90.9%-100%
The issue is that it is not usual to have 9 or 11 hives, so the values in the limits are less likely.
I also wanted to rescue the post to see if the number of responses increases.

Latest posts

Back