Winter Losses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What percentage of your colonies have you lost over winter ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
There are varying accounts of colony losses over this last winter - some are reporting low numbers - others total loss. Be honest - we all lose bees at times and there's no stigma attached to it Forget the reason for the losses as it's too hard to be certain, take the number of colonies you had going into winter and compare it with what you habe left now or at your first inspection.

Just curiousity and to see if there is any pattern.

It's a percentage response as it will make more sense. There's no comments to be added. Just the numbers. It's running for a month by which time I should think we will all have some idea of the losses.

I think percentages are misleading. One hive lost could be 50% or 1%!!!! Depends on how many hives you have. But one hive isn't a huge loss as such!
No, I think percentages work whether large or small numbers are involved. I've noticed people convert hive loss figures to percentages before passing comment.

There are varying accounts of colony losses over this last winter - some are reporting low numbers - others total loss. Be honest - we all lose bees at times and there's no stigma attached to it Forget the reason for the losses as it's too hard to be certain, take the number of colonies you had going into winter and compare it with what you habe left now or at your first inspection.

Just curiousity and to see if there is any pattern.

It's a percentage response as it will make more sense. There's no comments to be added. Just the numbers. It's running for a month by which time I should think we will all have some idea of the losses.
5 May seems reasonable. One national poll last year closed on 1 April!

Granted its a nice lightweight quizzing but a companion question of the cause might actually be of some use in the overall pattern.

I've put my one loss so far to the poll - during that (distant) spell of decent weather I discovered a hive ,one of my best unfortunately,plastered in sh1t, with the stores combs all ripped open and fresh carcasses scattered everywhere .
Thats not the most common reason for a winter loss and could throw the picture.

Of the 10 colonies that went into winter one was a dwindling colony not expected to survive - I've counted that in the 0-10% but exactly 10% could fit in either, the wording could avoid this ambiguity eg "0-10%, >10% but <20%, etc"

This is what I love about beekeeping. A simple post with a useful and instructive purpose immediately turned into a battleground for argument, conflicting views and downright idiocy! Mind you, it would have been useful if this questionnaire catered for the 10, 20 etc response

This is what I love about beekeeping. A simple post with a useful and instructive purpose immediately turned into a battleground for argument, conflicting views and downright idiocy! Mind you, it would have been useful if this questionnaire catered for the 10, 20 etc response
Hardly

A beekeeper losing one hive out of two would report a 50% loss.
Losing 25 hives out of 50 is a 50% loss but a much more significant one, don't you think?
:iagree: the outcome is doomed to be skewed even before the first vote was cast

Oh dear! I do hope you are not responding to my post. I am merely stating that I am not a great lover of using percentages as I believe they can give a distorted answer. But I have taken part. Love to know where the downright idiocy comes in! If that isn't an inflammatory comment I don't know what is😁

Latest posts

Back