Winter losses?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One below our target of 200 colonies into winter. Managed to limit feed to 1400kg as the majority filled up well on heather, although not to much excess for us. We expect 10% losses and anything under this is a bonus. Would have had more, but tried a few three frame nucs side by side in BS box's, but these were hammered by wasps and I amalgamated most of them. 80% of Queens are bought in British bred 70/30 split from two suppliers, the rest are from Romania on a three year trial. Most will get around 4kg of fondant on crownboard next month just to be sure.
It nice to see your getting 70% of your queen's from the UK.
Utmost respect my Shropshire friend;)

tried a few three frame nucs side by side in BS box's, but these were hammered by wasps
Same here; we set up 70 and lost about 12. Reckon it would better to set them up at the end of the main flow before wasps start sweet feeding. Our queens came at the end of September which was too late. Lesson learned.

Price rise in the pipeline, Mark?
Next year 340g hex jars of spring, summer honey will be £ 6.50 - £8.
Chunk honey will remain at £12.50
We've mixed comb spring/ summer in jars with either either one as a top up.

Ivy honey is £8.50 for 340g
Heather honey has been minimal this season.. We want more Heather honey but the acredge won't take it I don't think.

Spot on Eric, that was my mistake. in the past I've always make up nucs in September to winter in wales, never had much of an issue, but here in Shropshire has been a different story.
Queens are ordered earlier for mid June next year to hopefully get them stronger before there is an issue.

Interesting to hear about Ranmoor Common... we had bees next to the Ranmoor Arms... which I believe was destroyed by fire a good few years ago... that whole hillside was covered in heather, you could even smell it from my home in Westcott... 30 - 40 years ago!

Bees should be fit for purpose IMOHO !
Oh now you take me back Apple.
Lockins in the Ranmoor Arms back in the 70's..... with the local coppers supping in the back kitchen 😂

Strange world UK beekeeping - colonies that need 5kg less feed are more valued than those that produce 5kg extra honey. Also, the best beeks are the most well read but fail the exams!

Spot on Eric, that was my mistake. in the past I've always make up nucs in September to winter in wales, never had much of an issue, but here in Shropshire has been a different story.
Queens are ordered earlier for mid June next year to hopefully get them stronger before there is an issue.

Made up 60 nucs with mated queens first week of August. They're still getting pestered by the wasps. So far the only losses were those that didn't successfully accept their new queen.

Re winter losses. A strange winter last year as a few people in our Assoc lost colonies due to wet in hives, although the hives were high quality. No inspection boards in, so I don't understand why.. but bees in huge mouldy heap!
Personally have only lost one in the past few years and that was queen failure. Off out today to top up the fondant on my hives.. The weight is fairly good, but am playing safety card as fondant cheaper than losing a colony.

Oh now you take me back Apple.
Lockins in the Ranmoor Arms back in the 70's..... with the local coppers supping in the back kitchen 😂
Late 60s one of our haunts was the Tirola Cafe in North Street Dorking... bit of a Rockers hang out... essential caffine after the Mickleham bends!:ot:

Mickenham bends are now one way southbound until pass Box Hill school, so you can't get the angles you once could; both ways are under average speed cameras at a maximum of 50 mph. 10cc album 'deceptive bends' was named after a sign on the road.

After the 2012 Olympic bike race went through the Surrey Hills, it was thought to be a good idea to make it an annual event. Zig-zag and Box Hill are/were generally full of MAMILs. Covid stopped the organised race this year and Surrey County Council has declined to take up the 5 year contract on offer. Whilst a lot of cyclists are not happy, a lot of locals are. Tin hat on - very very off topic

Mickenham bends are now one way southbound until pass Box Hill school, so you can't get the angles you once could; both ways are under average speed cameras at a maximum of 50 mph. 10cc album 'deceptive bends' was named after a sign on the road.

After the 2012 Olympic bike race went through the Surrey Hills, it was thought to be a good idea to make it an annual event. Zig-zag and Box Hill are/were generally full of MAMILs. Covid stopped the organised race this year and Surrey County Council has declined to take up the 5 year contract on offer. Whilst a lot of cyclists are not happy, a lot of locals are. Tin hat on - very very off topic

My OT abiding memory of the area is going down to box hill in the 1980's with a few friends so we were in a car, we were overtaking someone on the A24 so we were in the outside lane and ourselves getting overtaken by a bike. Thing was he didn't wait until we were past the car and moved in he did it at the same time the gap between us and the then wooded central reservation was at max 3 feet. Ducati 900 SS so quite a narrow bike but still not something I would have done if the roles were reversed. Oh and both going at at least 60mph.

Latest posts

Back