winter feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Admin,
8lbs in a week - you have some seriously hungry bees:) I understood that fondant was used as required and not taken down and stored, am I mistaken?
Capri,
If I have an under par colony the first option is always unite, but I suspect that you now feel it is too cold to open the hive to find and remove the queen. Fondant is the way to go, on the top bars as I said then cover with old blanket or towels that way you can quietly lift the lid and check the size of the "bump" without disturbing the cluster. Renewing the supply can be done in seconds and like oxalic trickling does not bother the bees at all.
:cheers2: Mike

Admin,
8lbs in a week - you have some seriously hungry bees:)

It was a hive this year that was on double brood that I took over 100lb of honey from and fed a few days later,I think they store fondant as well,I nearly ricked my back trying to lift the second brood box a week later after giving them around 30lb of fondant.

Ok,
It looks like fondants the way to go,I will sort that out this week.

I spoke with a beekeeper yesterday who has very low winter losses (zero last winter) and his regime is never to feed syrup after the end of August, but from about now onwards he gives them a small amount of fondant each week. This is served up in a small Tupperware box inverted over a hole in a clearer board.

His argument is they only consume the fondant as required and don't try and store it.

His method is not for everyone as it means visiting the bees every week. However, there is plenty of evidence that bees which are fed liqud syrup early have a much better chance of making it through the winter. I would suggest it is now far too late to feed liquid syrup in the UK.

This fondant method is interesting.

Did he say why he only gives a small amount each week rather than use a larger box meaning less frequent visits?

Perhaps in smaller amounts it wont dry out so much. In big blocks over time it can go very hard.

My Bees have definately slowed down on the syrup.
They are still taking it, but in small quantities.

They are still out collecting Pollen.
I have told them they should be indoors in the warm sleeping
but these girls just dont know when to stop.

Maybe they are getting High on Sugar Syrup
It is quality stuff.
Silver spoon 400 calories per 100 grams

:)

My Bees have definately slowed down on the syrup.
They are still taking it, but in small quantities.

They are still out collecting Pollen.
I have told them they should be indoors in the warm sleeping
but these girls just dont know when to stop.

Maybe they are getting High on Sugar Syrup
It is quality stuff.
Silver spoon 400 calories per 100 grams

:)

do you still have bees out flying today? the daytime temps here are now in single figures and activity outside the hive has stopped for now for my girls

A couple of days ago we had a temp of 9C, showers of rain and hail with brief sunny periods between. During the sunny periods ALL my colonies were bringing in pollen:svengo:
Still lots of ivy in flower and to come. I don't like this sort of weather - too many bees lost when clouds obscure the sun catching them out.:(
Mike

do you still have bees out flying today? the daytime temps here are now in single figures and activity outside the hive has stopped for now for my girls

Looked in on my hives midday today and you would have thought it was the middle of summer, flying and bringing in loads of pollen but then I am lucky to be in the far south west.

I didnt get a chance to look today, but some of the little loves were out yesterday.
Temperature has dropped today to +5c so I am expecting it to drop further tonight.
14.gif

Back