Why don’t vegans eat honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I just say, hoping not to invoke the ire of the forum here, that the reason that vegans don't eat honey is simply a case of definition. If they ate honey they would not be vegans.. ;)

Personally the only thing which makes me a non vegan is that I do eat honey, I consider myself a beegan :D
Not wishing to inflame anything... but there are a number of prominent articles by vegans that are against honey being consumed that are full of erroneous details.

If the reason for not eating honey is that it involved animal labour, then can a vegan in all conscience eat anything pollinated by an insect?

Not wishing to inflame anything... but there are a number of prominent articles by vegans that are against honey being consumed that are full of erroneous details.

If the reason for not eating honey is that it involved animal labour, then can a vegan in all conscience eat anything pollinated by an insect?

On the basis of not eating anything produced through animal labour, our ancestors, who relied on the horse to produce food, would be dead from starvation.

My comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek ;) but yes, that is an argument I throw out to vegans a lot, especially when they are getting all righteous with me because I dare to eat honey. I know the articles you are referring too and unfortunately many vegans believe this kind of stuff, though knowing some of the things which happen to other farm animals on occasion I'm not surprised.. That and the fact that like me most vegans seem to be impressionable teenage girls,,.. oh wait..,,, :D

Wearing a dress and having and innocent expression on your face does not make you a teenage girl. ;-) It might betray a tendency towards veganism, though.

Latest posts

Back