Why don’t vegans eat honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never ate anything I treated. One chap used to pay me in rabbits and pigeons when he was broke. They tasted good :)
Once a clients gander was attacked by a fox and she said she couldn't eat him as he was a pet but not wanting to waste him she offered him to me.

Last edited:
Apart from it being a moral choice there are those (I know a couple) who cannot bear to eat anything with a face (as they put it). As you can imagine this gives rise to cakes, biscuits, vegetables and all sorts decorated with two eyes and a mouth in order to limit their share of the goodies within the family.

Many vegetarians create an exception for endangered species. DO NOT look for consistency.

One of the shop owners where I sell honey, quite a lot of honey, is a vegan and stocks his shop how his conscience allows, not strictly vegan but anyway he refused to stock my comb honey as that crossed some boundary in his mind as it was tacking away the bees home!
Don't look for consistency or logic.

honey and vegans

hi my daughter and son in law are both vegans both are cross fit coaches seriously fit both my young grandchildren eat meat until they decide the food route for themselves both the adults eat and enjoy my honey as they know i do not clip the queens wings perhaps that is a clue.

Went to a vegetarian shop (small cooperative) see if they wanted to sell some local honey, was told they stock it on Vegan principles and as honey is an animal product they don't stock it. Fair enough, it was suggested try a shop over the road as they sell quite a lot, which was nice of them and they do.

Probably the same cooperative I approached several years ago.
They told me then that they don't sell honey because it's "Bee Vomit"

hi my daughter and son in law are both vegans both are cross fit coaches seriously fit both my young grandchildren eat meat until they decide the food route for themselves both the adults eat and enjoy my honey as they know i do not clip the queens wings perhaps that is a clue.

It's a myth that vegans can't be healthy, the largest dietary study in history clearly demonstrated that a plant based diet delivers far better health outcomes.

There is a direct linkage with the rise in meat consumption in emerging countries and obesity, cancer and mental illness - I suspect because that is also linked with the rise of processed food.

It's a myth that vegans can't be healthy, the largest dietary study in history clearly demonstrated that a plant based diet delivers far better health outcomes.

There is a direct linkage with the rise in meat consumption in emerging countries and obesity, cancer and mental illness - I suspect because that is also linked with the rise of processed food.

Amen...

40 years ago vegetable food was very poor. Then airplanes started to bring vegetables and fruits from another side of the world.

When I was child 65 years ago, we really had vegan diet. Every day potatoes in different forms.
Sausage for potatoes was made from brown heated wheat flours, salt and pepper and water.

Amen...

40 years ago vegetable food was very poor. Then airplanes started to bring vegetables and fruits from another side of the world.

When I was child 65 years ago, we really had vegan diet. Every day potatoes in different forms.
Sausage for potatoes was made from brown heated wheat flours, salt and pepper and water.

I could live off lingonberry pie.

Amen...

1960s joke: "What's 100 yards long and lives on cabbage?" Answer "A meat queue in the Soviet Union"

"Had enough to eat?" is a polite enquiry in the west but a cruel joke in sub-Saharan Africa.

CVB

Can I just say, hoping not to invoke the ire of the forum here, that the reason that vegans don't eat honey is simply a case of definition. If they ate honey they would not be vegans.. ;)

Personally the only thing which makes me a non vegan is that I do eat honey, I consider myself a beegan :D

Latest posts

Back