Who's been chewing my house?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the English Yeti... never seen but responsible for lots of things including CCD and missing hive tools.

I wait with baited breath for the proof. Looks like a bird then, but we shall see.

I have lots of woodpeckers in the trees round my apiary, but never had an attack yet as over winter I always put chicken wire cover preventatively round each hive. Might be time for you to do this Michael.

Hi Drinkstone,
I always assumed it was a hoax. If it is true it must be a feathered friend. Can't wait to find out which way it is going to go!
Hi Beeno
Absolutely not a hoax although I don't really expect to film rats in helicopters! I ammwith you and put my money on the Crow.......well I have actually put my money on the trail camera.

My vote is for the yaffle bird, they splinter big chunks out of the blocks first.

My vote is for the yaffle bird, they splinter big chunks out of the blocks first.
Interesting, tell us more! Lots of Yaffles (green woodpeckers) around this part of Suffolk where Drinkstone and I live. Also owls and occasional stoat.

Interesting, tell us more! Lots of Yaffles (green woodpeckers) around this part of Suffolk where Drinkstone and I live. Also owls and occasional stoat.

We had them attack a few of my hive a couple of years ago, we have put protection on for years before with no sign of trouble but left it off one year, all was ok until it snowed then they struck, splintered the blocks out then started on the front wall of the hives luckily we just popped in on the way to somewhere else and caught the yaffle (green woodpecker)in the act before to much damage was done,(on two different sites), they say this is a learned behaviour and we have found they only seem to attempt this when times are hard, we know insure that we protect with netting or chicken wire on all hive where we know the yaffles frequent, the image of the damage in the op did look quite similar to what i had experienced so its a good chance it was them, if in doubt protect better safe than sorry. chris

We had them attack a few of my hive a couple of years ago, we have put protection on for years before with no sign of trouble but left it off one year, all was ok until it snowed then they struck, splintered the blocks out then started on the front wall of the hives luckily we just popped in on the way to somewhere else and caught the yaffle (green woodpecker)in the act before to much damage was done,(on two different sites), they say this is a learned behaviour and we have found they only seem to attempt this when times are hard, we know insure that we protect with netting or chicken wire on all hive where we know the yaffles frequent, the image of the damage in the op did look quite similar to what i had experienced so its a good chance it was them, if in doubt protect better safe than sorry. chris
Yes very convincing indeed, as my learned friend Amari has said. The camera was set at 2.00 pm this afternoon so sometime tomorrow morning all may well be revealed.

Yes very convincing indeed, as my learned friend Amari has said. The camera was set at 2.00 pm this afternoon so sometime tomorrow morning all may well be revealed.

you should have set the camera up at 10am as the Yaffle birds down tools at 1.45pm in and out quick :D

Update yes indeed! We set the camera up yesterday afternoon and retrieved it this morning, the contents were three short clips of me setting the camera up and then walking away from it! Ok so set up again and this time after four hours SWMBO collected camera and we had lots of shots of her walking down the garden.....set up again this time looks a better set up.................on the positive or negative a green woodpecker was spotted in the apiary this morning........probably laughing at the camera.

I checked out some of mine today. 'Pecker damage to some. A hole in an empty box well below the cluster of one, some damage to an entrance and evidence of half-hearted pecking at a couple of other hives. They have not attacked all the groups of hives and the poly is all still intact. I saw more than a flash of green as the 'pecker departed on my arrival, so will go and take some more precautions tomorrow.

I checked out some of mine today. 'Pecker damage to some. A hole in an empty box well below the cluster of one, some damage to an entrance and evidence of half-hearted pecking at a couple of other hives. They have not attacked all the groups of hives and the poly is all still intact. I saw more than a flash of green as the 'pecker departed on my arrival, so will go and take some more precautions tomorrow.
Yes I am far enough convinced to wire the hives but I would like to get the photographic evidence first if possible.

It is quite surprising how quickly they can beat a hole though the wall of a hive it can be a mater of minutes !! its not the damage so much as the disturbance to the cluster with bees coming out to defend the colony getting chilled and are unable to return. chris

on the positive or negative a green woodpecker was spotted in the apiary this morning........probably laughing at the camera.

Mystery solved, the relief......... At least it's easily sorted out now you know what it is.
Cazza

I still think its a rat
As I said earlier I had what looks like similar damage done last week. Mouse guard dislodged then chewed the bottom bar, I then added the entrance block which also got chewed. Are they teeth marks ? Some of the debris pictured on the hive roof next to my brick (I put it there)
Pete D

I still think its a rat
As I said earlier I had what looks like similar damage done last week. Mouse guard dislodged then chewed the bottom bar, I then added the entrance block which also got chewed. Are they teeth marks ? Some of the debris pictured on the hive roof next to my brick (I put it there)
Pete D

That looks like the teeth marks of animal. You can actually see the marks of the top teeth and then the drag marks of the bottom teeth

Latest posts

Back