Who's been chewing my house?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rats

I still think its a rat
As I said earlier I had what looks like similar damage done last week. Mouse guard dislodged then chewed the bottom bar, I then added the entrance block which also got chewed. Are they teeth marks ? Some of the debris pictured on the hive roof next to my brick (I put it there)
Pete D

Not a rat in my opinion,seen much gnawing of wood and doors on the farm nothing like that, pieces too big I would go for woody

I'm not sure if these are pictures of rat damage either. From what I've seen before, they usually chew from the outside in, and make a tunnel-like entrance for themselves. I don't think rats can make a v-shaped entrance, and wouldn't be likely to waste time making it wider than they need.

I think it's more likely to have been done by a bird, with the wood being pierced by the beak in the same way as a nail can pierce and split wood, then the splinters have been either ripped or levered out.

I could easily be wrong. :)

I'm not sure if these are pictures of rat damage either. From what I've seen before, they usually chew from the outside in, and make a tunnel-like entrance for themselves. I don't think rats can make a v-shaped entrance, and wouldn't be likely to waste time making it wider than they need.

I think it's more likely to have been done by a bird, with the wood being pierced by the beak in the same way as a nail can pierce and split wood, then the splinters have been either ripped or levered out.

I could easily be wrong. :)
Well you are certainly not wrong on the original post, that was woodpecker all hives are now wired all round and over......case closed from my end unless anyone wants to buy a little used trail camera.

Mine have temporary black plastic bags laid over each side and secured by the roof sitting on them. Not pinned them down but don't expect any more damage now the snow has gone. Only the one hole but lots more 'pecks' were visible. Mr lidl to the rescue!

Latest posts

Back