Who's been chewing my house?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Up to the apiary what did we see? One hive pictured with just tracks, next hive pictured obvious mutation of the doorway to the point of opening the slide!

Any thoughts apart from buy a camera alarm?

Possibly a muntjack knawing or something similar? Splinters look too big to be rats or mice to me

The fox had a go at my hen coop a couple of weeks ago and the splinters on the ground look very similar to the debris he left behind trying to bite his way through the door at the back of the coop. (He didn't get in and with my rabble of hens he would have had a bloody nose if he had made any sort of hole that they could peck through). Probably got off lightly !!

Hi Drinkstone
I think Muntjac. - I have had similar.

"Vermin Fawlty vermin".
Cazza

"shotgun not camera then'

not unless you have a FAC and are specifically allowed to buy and use slugs since normally cartridges are a strict no-no for anything larger than rabbit.

If Muntjac are supposed to go for the most juicy and tender shoots...then why would they try an entrance block? Why would they be interested in bees/brood? This was a focused attempt to get in.

Likewise foxes which tend to look for weakspots and cause generally not a lot of damage to structures. Can't see the footprint, other than human. Would help - and easily dispel deer.

Badgers do splinter wood in a focussed attempt to get into poultry and bees, although I only have direct experience of the former. Scary thing a hungry badger. Rats don't gnaw big splinters and mink squeeze through gaps.

Any badgers in the area? A young one might have had a go....an older one would have carried on ripping. Look for triangular hairs trapped in the timber or nearby hole in a fence probably with visible run - you can feel the shape by rolling between the fingers.

Just guessing of course...

Last edited:
Badgers? But I have no sympathy for people that do not even fit mouseguards. The mice would have been in there the first frost.

Like the way your thinking Susbees, I am still in favour of Muntjack as I know I have them in the garden and Cazza has had experience...of muntjack that is!
I am guessing the Muntjack can scent the honey maybe.

Like the way your thinking Susbees, I am still in favour of Muntjack as I know I have them in the garden and Cazza has had experience...of muntjack that is!

I'm still saying deer. No badgers round here and I have seen the same splintering at the back of a hive. Deer seem to nibble anything when it snows.

C

Just noted "Normal for Norfolk" location.
I actually saw this (NFN) on a child's notes years ago. (Sorry, totally off topic.)
Cazza

Used to be on drs notes in hospitals too

I assumed they would be knawing their teeth down. Although, I'm not sure if their teeth do constantly grow

Maybe you have exploding termites.....:sorry:

Looks like claw marks on porch roof, so my money is on badger. Anyway as already said, why wood muntjack go after hard dead wood

Foots prints in the snow look too round ti be muntjak and there seems to be nail marks on the landing board.Acording to spring watch last night, badgers really dont come out in the cold when the ground is frozen and have no food sourse.

Coypu do that to wood here - not sure if you have them where you are.
Their back feet are webbed, so you could tell by the footprints.

Latest posts

Back