Who's been chewing my house?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never read so much cobblers about deer in my life .
Muntjac dont eat wood unless it has sap running through it . They browse for food , they do not stand and chew away at a lump of dry timber .
The most damage from deer is if they scratch against the corner of the hive .
Fangs ? . Actually canine teeth used when fighting off other bucks , they do not 'attack' dogs , cats etc, they defend themselves . Whole different thing .
I have seen a Spaniel opened up along its flank by a big buck but guess what , the deer was being cornered and defended itself .
fwiw it looks like rat damage but someone will be along in a bit to say its Beaver!

The most damage from deer is if they scratch against the corner of the hive .
!

I agree, or knock them over in a panic to get out if disturbed, not talking about muntjac but red deer, a heard of 30 0r 40 do make a mess. Red deer will also strip the bark from trees, usually killing them.

The only other damage with regards chewing i have had is with badgers, and they very nearly destroy the hives to get in, and last spring they completely destroyed several mating nucs, some gone completely except for a few chewed up remains.

Dishmops term fang is just another known description for canine teeth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fang

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_tooth

Beavers ...na...may be grizzly bears.

Last edited:
Muntjac dont eat wood unless it has sap running through it . They browse for food , they do not stand and chew away at a lump of dry timber .

!

If Muntjac don't nibble dry timber why do they chew on dry wood at the top of my garden? I watch them do it on long dead wood.

Cazza

This is getting going isn't it Cazza? Lets take it further, yesterday we wired with 1" chicken mesh at 3' high the nice snow came down and gave us a clean drawing board for tracks the results of which I attach. I now intend to use a night camera connected to computer if I can find one with enough range.

You have problems!

I used to be a boy scout and can clearly see signs in those pictures of a muntjak, badger, grizzly bear and a snake.

Are you a beekeeper or a zoo keeper?

The manbearpig strikes again!
ddymw4.jpg

Last edited:
red deer, a heard of 30 0r 40 do make a mess

one was sufficient to wreck the front of my van. Damned thing ran across the road in front of me and into the hedge, and then came back out.......

I discovered the exact same damage to one of my hives, the one nearest my pond on Sunday morning about 8 am. I put the entrance block in and 2 hours later had another look and the entrance block had been chewed slightly. I actually couldnt see any tracks other than my own. Whatever had done it had been back during the morning and had another go.
To me its a rat trying to get in. I set a humane trap next to the hive baited with a plum cut in half, couple of biscuits and some gammon trimmings and as yet have caught nothing. No more damage either.
On the rat front we feed the birds at home and a rat or 2 comes out from next doors decking under the fence and climbs the pole to get at the seed. My airgun got rid of 2 yesterday but its obviously time for some poison again.

Pete D

This is getting going isn't it Cazza? Lets take it further, yesterday we wired with 1" chicken mesh at 3' high the nice snow came down and gave us a clean drawing board for tracks the results of which I attach. I now intend to use a night camera connected to computer if I can find one with enough range.

They are the wing marks of a bird either landing or taking off

Keith and Cazza you have spotted the possible! I watched a crow fly in there early this morning, the other point is there are absolutely no tracks from my hastily erected fence to the hive the track must have come from an airborne source. Question is was this Ed Miliband or a badger or even a muntjack with a helicopter? The other more serious question is could a crow cause that damage to the hives? CCTV is very complex and expensive by the way.

Unlikely a badger would return for a few days, you would of left too much of a stink when putting up the fence.

with a plum cut in half, couple of biscuits and some gammon trimmings and as yet have caught nothing.

Can you add some cranberry please.. about 7.30 Wednesday evening..OK.

CCTV is very complex and expensive by the way.

get one of the neighbours kids to sit there all night and say they will be on Winter Watch.

Dont owls spread thier wings about when they are on the ground?

]They are the wing marks of a bird either landing or taking off...that one i agree with but the others i havent a clue but there does seem like some deer tracks

Latest posts

Back