Who left BBKA and survived?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newbury joined last year, as did Vale and Downland. The thing they were after was the education program: the basic and modules...

Although new to beekeeping myself I am being mentored by a relative experienced in beekeeping for many years, who had a reasonable sized apiary/out apiarys 10-15 years ago but had to give things up due to family commitments.

We have been hesitant to join our local associations as we are cynical about the BBKA's aims with regards to the pesticide endorsement but would still like to enjoy the benefits of the insurances so we can sell our honey produce locally without any worries.

Is it possible to join an association that is not in your area who are not affiliated to the BBKA. I know that you would miss out on the other benefits like the regular meetings at the association, mentoring from a group and hire of shared equipment etc.

Sort of still on this thread I think, as it would be the only way I can foresee getting these benefits but not joining the BBKA local association.

Does anyone know if this is available as I will vote with my feet and not go the BBKA way if at all possible.

The local associations are fantastic minature, its when it gets to national level it all seems to go to pot.

This is a fantastic forum where you may be able to find a few local people who may be interested in clubbing together for some of the essentials that you can share.

However, in time you will want your own kit.

The local associations are fantastic minature, its when it gets to national level it all seems to go to pot.

This is a fantastic forum where you may be able to find a few local people who may be interested in clubbing together for some of the essentials that you can share.

I agree the local associations are good. I have seen what they do, but as yet haven't joined one because of decisions that are made above the local associations. I guess that is why this thread was started, to find out who successfully left the BBKA and kept their local association running without them or went it alone (with help of this awesome forum!!) :)

I agree the local associations are good. I have seen what they do, but as yet haven't joined one because of decisions that are made above the local associations. I guess that is why this thread was started, to find out who successfully left the BBKA and kept their local association running without them or went it alone (with help of this awesome forum!!) :)

yes, I meant total disassociation -
Do we need the BBKA if we can get insurance elsewhere- what else do they offer.
Do we lose the bee inspectors as advisors?? Are they part of the BBKA umbrella

The Bee inspectors are part of Defra, or Fera or whatever they are called today. They are not part of the BBKA.

If you leave the BBKA you lose:

Public and Product liability insurance - this is available elsewhere at competitive rates.

The Education program - Only to a limited extent - I believe modules and the basic are available to non-members of the BBKA, although I have not researched it.

Representation - Somewhat farcical given that they have withdrawn from the FERA talks and only represent about a quarter of the UKs beekeepers anyway.

You do not lose BDI, which is of questionable benefit as it only applies to equipment, not bees. I will qualify that by saying that BDI is available to members of beekeeping associations, not individuals.

The other thing you lose, of course, is an unethical stance...

In fairness to the BBKA, the education program is good.

The endorsment issue is appalling, and should never have been introduced. But having been introduced, the member associations have allowed it to continue. After this last ADM, I am pretty sure the BBKA is no longer at fault, but that it is the member associations, particularly the county level associations with more than one constituent local association that are the problem. (Especially those with ex-presidents of the BBKA as members) The implication of that is that until the county associations no longer have membership, and it is only direct membership through un-tiered associations, or better yet direct membership of individuals, the problems will remain.

Sorry if this isn't directly on thread...

A couple of people have said insurance is available elsewhere. I am not questioning this but can anyone name a company or broker offering insurance for bees? I had herd* the Farmers Union used to but don't any more.

*My brain said "heard" but this is what my fingers typed. There must be a medical name for the condition.

I have had a quote for an association of beekeepers, membership about 150, from a broker, experienced with beekeeping associations.

As we discussed before Roche the insurance issue is the main problem.

Education... well its all around us so not the biggie it used to be. And the majority are not interested.

Representation... LOL The Gov (I hear) has no interest in the BBKA, they are deemed of no value. *shrug* They blew it in meetings by means of attitude and are effectively sidelined. Ho Hum... what a surprise there eh?

So what is left?

PH

And if I recall correctly he wanted the job for the whole association? What about getting insurance as an individual?

I've only ever looked into it for an association. To an extent it depends on where you keep and how you sell. If you keep at home, or on your own land, you are probably covered by other policies you already have, for public liability. I don't know about product liability.

As we discussed before Roche the insurance issue is the main problem.

Education... well its all around us so not the biggie it used to be. And the majority are not interested.

Representation... LOL The Gov (I hear) has no interest in the BBKA, they are deemed of no value. *shrug* They blew it in meetings by means of attitude and are effectively sidelined. Ho Hum... what a surprise there eh?

So what is left?

PH

Quite right PH. All we need to do is cash flow the introduction of insurance for members and we are there. (Need some web expertise as well, to make it easy)

So we could be on the cusp of forming the first web based Beekeepers Association?

Which would I think pretty much immediately be the biggest in England. Interesting thought.

PH

PH

It is all around us. I have received more answers searching on this forum than any book. As for any topic not yet covered there is always a knowledgable individual able to give his way of doing things in the art of beekeeping. I know association is required for newbees (to demonstrate the practical side and guide first experiences with the bees) but there is always the option of meeting up with local experienced beekeepers who you make friends with on the forum.

Maybe we should make this an online poll, see how many existing members would want to join an online association on a regular yearly basis and then we will have some numbers to goto the insurance broker with.

I'd put my name down, I'd even be happy if part of the subs went to the upkeep of the forum (I know donations are possible already for those willing)

So we could be on the cusp of forming the first web based Beekeepers Association?

Which would I think pretty much immediately be the biggest in England. Interesting thought.

PH

I think it's either that, or Furness will get swamped by carpet bagging beeks....

I have been reading this thread from the begining when it started and have for once kept my trap shut, mainly because i turned my back on the beek ass years ago, I did try one night at a birmingham club which was awlfull so never jioned up there either, so as you can see i am very negative to bee asso

Insurance for me is public liability which is £200 per year for work and hobbies, no other insurance on the bees except for any equipment i keep at home is covered with the household insurance,

training, just ask, I evan know a bloke on the internet that does videos!

internet based beek aas. I am well up for that, I would say it is worth say £50 a year plus another £10 for admin plus insurance premium say £70 total still less than £10 per month worth every penny, and half what it costs me now

the thing is i dont know how to set up or run an association

Before you jump I would check with Furness.
I have no contacts there ( I am new after all) but I heard a comment a few weeks ago that they were thinking of going back in. I have no idea why and it was 3rd hand.
Sorry it's not more specific.

But not so independent that when joining you have to sign to say you have read a BBKA leaflet!
I guess at a cost of £10.00 per year there is no insurance, even 3rd Party?

Latest posts

Back