Who left BBKA and survived?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well maybe that's a bit melodramatic - but which Associations have decided to leave the BBKA umbrella and are now proceeding down an independent road.

And are there any regrets? Benefits? (besides clear conscience)

Interesting read.

esp.
Bees use honey mainly to fuel their wing muscles and feed the hive. Flying at up to 22mph, fuel consumption is 7 million miles per gallon.

Must be putting the wrong stuff in my car :)
Wonder if they get "nectar" points:ack2:

Bees use honey mainly to fuel their wing muscles .........Must be putting the wrong stuff in my car :)
:

Think first. Bees wings flap 13,800 times a minute or 230 beats per second.
Your car's tachometer will hit to bottom if you use honey.

Racing%20Gauges_2%20Inch%20Tachometer.jpg

I think one of the ones around Rutland/Derbyshire left...

But more to the point, I know there are a number of associations that would like to leave, but are tied either because of the loss of assets to their county association, or the difficulties of obtaining insurance for their members.

Insurance is not a problem - it can be obtained anywhere. The loss of assets is more difficult and will probably be different in every instance.

Last edited:
Dont the assets belong to the Assoc that bought them??- our constitution says we own ours. And we haven't had a penny from County - even less from BBKA.

Furness BKA were independant but their website seems to be down.

You certainly are, for quite some time. DC mentions that on his website.

Bees use honey mainly to fuel their wing muscles and feed the hive.

The main use of honey by the bees is to heat the hive. There are specific bees which generate extra heat over sealed brood. This has been shown using thermal cameras. They are fed by other bees and also help themselves from thin honey which is placed in empty cells amongst the brood.

Can you please clarify, are the associations mentioned above not just "direct" member branches of the BKKA and therefore not under a county umbrella?

From Heather's post I assumed she meant a complete break from the BBKA in total, not just from the county purse strings??

You certainly are, for quite some time. DC mentions that on his website.

Web site frequently asked questions refers to the BBKA still. + insurance?

John Wilkinson

yes, I meant total disassociation -
Do we need the BBKA if we can get insurance elsewhere- what else do they offer.
Do we lose the bee inspectors as advisors?? Are they part of the BBKA umbrella

If the annual subs where raised to a sensible level of +£50 per year, a lot can be done

I just tried http://www.furnessbeekeepers.co.uk and it seemed to work.

It must have been down for maintenance or something.

Why Join Furness Beekeepers

Furness Beekeepers is an independent beekeeping association and is not affiliated to any other body or group therefore the subscription you pay stays within your association.

It is run by its members for the benefit of its members .

It is a non profit making charity, all subscriptions, donations and money we earn is ploughed back into the association
Types of Membership

Single Membership £17.00 per annum
Joint Membership £22.00 per annum
Friend of Furness £5.00 per annum (Does not have the benefit of our insurance package)

That article says that the Mid Bucks Beekeepers' Association are independent but their website says otherwise. "The Association is affiliated to the British Beekeepers Association (BBKA). All Full Members and Family Members automatically become members of the BBKA"

Crossed wires somewhere :confused:

Article date is May 2005
MBBKA re-joined BBKA in 2009 having been out for 15+ years

I wonder why they rejoined??? What was there to gain after 15 years outside the 'loop'

Latest posts

Back