Which Lemongrass oil?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What brand of Lemongrass oil do folks use for their swarm traps?
And where do you buy it?

It's not essential (excuse the pun) -- they'll work without it, but perhaps it helps. There are a few different varieties of Lemongrass and some are supposed to have more of the relevant compound (can't recall the name of it at the moment), but I seem to recall that "Cymbopogon Citratus" has the most of the ones that are commonly available. I bought mine from that South American river place.

I agree with Dani, too. Some old brood comb really seems to get them interested.

James

@ClarksMeadow
Cymbopogon nardus and Cymbopogon winterianus are used as insect repellents. In the ebay links make sure you choose lemongrass. Alternatively as you only joined last year and you haven't got old dark comb, you could remove one of your drawn out frames and use it in a bait hive, as long as it is an empty dry frame (no syrup or nectar) and replace it with a frame of foundation.

I tried to attract bees into a bait hive and after 34 years - bingo and for the last few years managed a swarm/ Bought my grandson a hive and he had a swarm inside 6 weeks!! So far so good in keeping them over the winter. He's only 9 and still keen on the bees although the real passion is cricket and currently on Yorkshire CC training sessions which he loves.

I tried to attract bees into a bait hive and after 34 years - bingo and for the last few years managed a swarm/ Bought my grandson a hive and he had a swarm inside 6 weeks!! So far so good in keeping them over the winter. He's only 9 and still keen on the bees although the real passion is cricket and currently on Yorkshire CC training sessions which he loves.
In case anyone down under strays onto this forum :eek:, no old comb here. See para 6 and 6.3

https://beeaware.org.au/wp-content/...Bee-Industry-Biosecurity-Code-of-Practice.pdf

Oh 9. The age when you are least likely to die.
Is he a bowler or batter?
All rounder perhaps?

Last edited:
Seems to be OK at both. Started off bowling and was pretty much getting more accurate - fewer wides and no balls from about six months back with virtually none now and clocked at 42mph in training which for his age I think is not bad. His batting though seems to have come on a treat does not seem to get out much. A lot of the games are a short form but this summer I think matches will be a longer form. From what I see at a distance his club has a good set up and there are other young kids around with talent which pulls everyone upwards.

Latest posts

Back