Which bread maker?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DulwichGnome

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
8 & 5 nucs all Rose
I'm thinking of getting a bread maker in the jan sales, can any one recommend any good ones worth looking at or ones to avoid?

I looking for something to do a 'standard' loaf, a timer would be good, but not too many whistles and bells.

Thanks,
Mike.

We've had several breadmakers - they all go "phut" after a few years.

But TODAY my wife had a hand breadmaking breakthrough. She made a real loaf with flour, yeast etc by hand and it would have been good enough to sell.

The main trick was to have water in a tray in the oven so the humidity was high, this seemed to have kept the dough moist while it rose in the oven before baking.

We had a bread orgy over soup for lunch. Only problem is the loaf was so big we will be eating it for days.

Can't fault the Lidl breadmaker we bought a year or so ago, it has two paddles, is not too ugly to look at, and has not let us down so far. We have also found extra recipes on line for it, such as brioche, which has been excellent and a welcome addition to our bread menu. You could do a lot worse!
:)

they all go "phut" after a few years.

We have had the same Panasonic SD-206 for over eleven years now.

It has made well over a thousand (possibly well in excess of 1500) loaves in that time. Likely now superceded by a less long-lived machine, but no complaints at all on the purchase. Still works just as when it was new.

A new paddle bearing cost more than a new 'cheapo' model now, but the cheapo would likely have gone the same way as all yours - phut - by now. It was relatively expensive when new, compared to the ones on offer these days.

RAB

RoofTops;194456 But TODAY my wife had a hand breadmaking breakthrough. She made a real loaf with flour said:
All the professional proving cabinets are humid

they all go "phut" after a few years.

We have had the same Panasonic SD-206 for over eleven years now.

It has made well over a thousand (possibly well in excess of 1500) loaves in that time. Likely now superceded by a less long-lived machine, but no complaints at all on the purchase. Still works just as when it was new.

A new paddle bearing cost more than a new 'cheapo' model now, but the cheapo would likely have gone the same way as all yours - phut - by now. It was relatively expensive when new, compared to the ones on offer these days.

RAB
My Mother has had two Panasonics for years the first still in use by my sister

Panasonic ... onto our second in about 12 years. The first one didn't pack up but is still going strong (I gave it away) after buying one with the nut/fruit dispenser.

Just loaded it to make stollen!

Panasonic here too.
Works well and lovely to have hot fresh bread for breakfast.BUT the best bread is like Rooftops says, handmade.

I'm happy with the couple of morphy richards fastbakes that we have - spares are cheap when needed.

They're nothing fancy but i use them just to make dough for hand shaping and 2nd proving. also great for doing hot water pastry.

a twin paddle machine +/- rye paddle would be nice however.

We have a small loaf, single paddle, Hinari that we've had for many years.

We've also got the bigger, double paddle, Lidl own-branded Silvercrest one, it's fine.

Panasonic. The one with the fruit and nut dispenser. Had it for about 6 years. Gets worked hard. Just today it did a standard loaf and now it is doing a cheese and herb one.

Before I got one I did some research and Panasonic won hands down and now I know why. Not cheap but turns out great value.

Costco do 16kg bags of flour which I always get for white loaves

Panasonic Sd253 here.

Makes at least a loaf a day sometimes three. Owes us not a penny and one of our USP's is the home made bread. Another is the comb honey to put on it.... LOL

PH

Chalk up another vote for whatever the latest Panasonic SD-series model is (SD-257?). Ours gets used four or five times a week, pretty much every week. Only replaced our SD-253 because the catch on the nut dispenser broke (a weak point on that model, apparently, now fixed) and I couldn't get spares. It must have been getting on for ten years old.

James

Panasonic every time. Ours is 12 years old and still going strong:)

My vote for the panasonic as well...but - it needs to be in a room with a relatively high temperature, otherwise the loaf doesn't rise as well as it might.

Had my morphy richards bread maker for at least 10 years, used a lot and never had any problems with it.
But i still hand make bread when i have the time!

To make better bread, don't get a breadmaking machine.

Instead, get a digital scale (1g sensitivity) and use it for weighing the flour AND the water.

Flour does NOT greatly change day-to-day with humidity (a myth dating back long before the internet spread it). Flour is sold by weight - how would that work if it was absorbing different amounts of moisture each day?
But volume measurement ("cups") is comically inaccurate.
As is the printing on most measuring jugs.
You can do much better very easily - just weigh out the quantities.
If you can get ±1% accuracy on both flour and water (instead of ±10%) then baking consistently good bread gets much easier. And you don't have to blame the weather.
An eBay £10 pocket scale with 0.1g precision is going to be an improvement for measuring the salt to a similar reproducibility. But salt quantity is mainly a matter of taste ...

The yeast measurement is surprisingly not critical for manual baking - yeast/time/temperature for fermentation can be adjusted (by eye) by any would-be baker, but machines expect fixed quantities for their fixed-time programming!

A trace of Vitamin C makes the dough stronger, and able to hold a rise better. This is particularly important with wholemeal bread baking.

Allow time to be an ingredient.
Fast-fermented bread does not taste as good as slow-fermented!
Don't try to rush 'rising' by using extra heat. (Or extra yeast - but do try using less yeast than a recipe indicates, and allowing a longer rise-time to compensate.) 'Warm Room' temperature is just fine for dough fermentation.
"Baby's bottle" temperature is the most that yeast should EVER be exposed to (before it expires in the oven). So don't add hot water to the yeast!
Be patient, give it more rise time if it wants - it'll be better for it.

Don't let the dough surface dry out while its rising. Keep it covered. I now use lidded plastic tubs, which are simple and stackable.

Do start the bake in a steamy oven.
Have a flattish metal dish ready heated in the bottom of the oven, put the loaf in the oven, then put boiling water in the hot dish (beware of the steam!) and close the oven swiftly. With some fan ovens it may help to briefly switch off the oven when loading, to prevent the steam being blown back at you!
Remove the dish if any water remains after 1/3 of the baking time. (This is why the quantity of boiling water isn't really important - something like a cupful should be fine.)
Opening the oven, to check and remove the dish, does itself help to drop the oven humidity nicely for the final part of the bake.

Do try baking 'rustic' loaves on a (well-preheated) pizza stone (or slab of granite, or slate, or whatever) instead of using a loaf tin.
Main difficulty is loading the shaped dough into the oven. Solution is to prep the loaf on a piece of (floured) baking parchment, and load that, with the loaf, onto the hot stone in the oven.
You can remove the parchment at the same time as you remove the steam dish.

Don't rush to cut or eat the bread. Let it cool for a while on a rack. If you want a softer crust, then while its still hot, cover it with a clean dish towel, damp if you like a very soft crust.

Baking good bread is easy and doesn't require much 'hands-on' time.
But it does mean paying attention to details.
And an easy one to get right is accurate measurement of flour and liquid.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the posts, Panasonic seems to win the machine vote with hand made winning the best bread prize.

As I am time poor, I will pawn the family cat (again), and get a SD-2500 WXC. There is a £20 money back offer which brings the price down to £78, and when I retire and have the time I will make it by hand.

Itma, I will print out your post, in large print, so I can use it later in life ;).

Thanks again not worthy,
Mike.

we have a "breadman ultimate" by russel hobbs and has been in use for at least 10 years

Latest posts

Back